DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Internal: take up very little room, easy to deploy but you will get condensation. External are the opposite, bulky, unpleasant to roll up when cold and wet but no condensation outside of Siberia.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
External for me every time.
Keep the MH warmer and condensation free (windscreen and cab windows, that is).
Wipe down with a cloth before removing from the cab if it is damp and, unlike someone :winky:, I never find it unpleasant to roll up.

We don't wild camp usually, so the security argument very rarely affects us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I find my internal ones good because I don't have to go outside if it is raining or cold, etc., to put them on. When meeting up with a man external ones are ok as he can go out in the rain or cold and put them on.

There are pluses and minuses for both.:thumb:

sandrae

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Glastonbury
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Long time
External. Keep you warm in the winter, cool in the summer, reduce condensation on the windscreen to nil. The downside is that they are outside and get wet but are easily dried off. Ours travel in the bathroom.

We have had both Taylormade and Silver Screens and prefer the latter for fit.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We use the external ones in winter in the UK when it's very cold. All the usual arguments , there is less condensation, they're very effective insulators and we tend to tour less so putting them away is less of a problem. We find them too bulky when touring on the continent and extremely cold temperatures are less of an issue so they just take up space.
We have thermal curtains which work well as blackout and keep much of the cold out but the windows still mist over at times.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
External for Meuse a silicone blade scraper to remove excess water/ raindrops they are made of a water repellent lightweight material and easily rolled when wet. Storage bag is waterproof on inside. We use van all year and they are a must in cold weather to prevent condensation.

We also have the pleated slide across blinds on doors and windscreen which are used with the external screen.:thumb:

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We use both but only because we already had the externals and then inherited the internals.
We also had matching curtain material stitched to the inner side of the internals to mask the awful grey plastic and make them look like part of the soft furnishings.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We have a set of external screens that came with the Dakota, but haven't used them yet. We were away for two weeks recently and should really have tried them out, but this current van is so much better insulated than our first van an Elddis and we haven't really felt the cold.

We have very little condensation in the Dakota, but I think the internal pleated blinds help a little bit and if it's really cold we'll pull the curtains across the window blinds as well. Whereas before in the Elddis the windows were running with condensation without any screens and it took ages to get it wiped dry again. We used to drape a large blanket across the cab area to keep the draughts at bay:Doh:

Will try the screens out next trip, then we can let you know how we get on. At least this time when can store them in the garage without any worries.

Bill

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back