Intermittent water pump

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by nsxfan, May 27, 2010.

1. nsxfan

nsxfan Read Only Funster

Hi all,
    first post so please be gentle!

I have an intermittent fault on my Burstner Elegance. I can get no water through any of the taps when turned on, although it may spring to life if we forget and leave on of the taps open.

I have checked everything I can think of. 12v on, water pump on, pump fuse checked, fresh water tank full, all drains closed. Microswitch on taps sounds to be working, but no pump noise at all.

The manual suggests vigorously shaking the pump in case it is an air block. No effect.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

hi and welcome....

have you checked voltage at the pump terminals using a proper volt/multi meter ?
    if you have 12v at the pump it sounds like a new pump is needed.

reading your post you appear to have tried ALL the taps so it shouldnt be a microswitch problem.

edit....Mmmm, just reread and it appears to be an intermitant pump failure.....shortly to fail altogether.

3. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Sounds like its going to be one of those intermittent connection problems that are a pain to track down.

When its turned on but not working go around checking connections, tapping the pump (dirty contacts) or anything you can think of, its not going to jump out at you. Good luck.

Doug...

4. nsxfan

nsxfan Read Only Funster

Thanks for the replies.. I tried all the relevant electrical connections I could find, and whilst looking at how to disassemble the pump to check the 12v (ie manhandling it) it has started working again.

Would that suggest to you poor/loose electrical connections in the pump, or something more sinister? Is it worth stripping it down, or hoping for the best?

Thanks,
    Roger

5. Douglas

Possible, that's the problem with intermittent problems, but Its worth digging deeper, What kind of pump is it, if its a diaphragm type pump then its possible the contacts are in need of attention, if its a rotary type pump look for loose/corroded connections.

Sorry I can't be more specific but that's the nature of the fault.

Doug...

6. pappajohn

now, that sounds like a broken wire in the pump feed flex.
    turn the pump on and gently bend, twist and pull the flex along its length and see if it starts and stops at some point.
    if it does then a new pump will be needed as the flex will be bonded into the pump body to waterproof it.

7. vwalan

vwalan Funster

as it got a good earth connection . i sometimes have been known to accidently knock the earth on my pump and after alot of swearing and playing around it works again .
    been ok for the past winter but sometimes plays up after a laying up spell. cheers alan.

8. nsxfan

nsxfan Read Only Funster

My thoughts too, so I thought I'd have a closer look at the electrics.. the flex is indeed bonded into the pump, and only a short length is on view.. the remainder disappears into the chassis and I cannot for the life of me find the 'other end'.

However, I figured at some point the pump switch on the control panel would play a part. I have inspected this, and it has no voltage at all, whether on or off, also 12v on or off. I'm no sparky, but I would expect something there.

If I connect a 12v battery direct to the switch, or rather the wires to it, could I expect the pump to operate, or am I likely to fry something?

Thanks for all your replies, it's a real comfort to know I'm not alone!

Roger

9. pappajohn

it would point to the switch.

i assume you mean there is 12v to one side of the switch whether on or off but nothing at the other no matter what position the switch is in ?

on the 'dead' side of the switch, remove the two wires and connect to a battery as you suggested.
    that way there will be no back current through the switch...just a feed to the pump.
    if the pump works simply renew the switch and roberts your mums brother. :thumb::thumb:

10. nsxfan

nsxfan Read Only Funster

Just what I wanted to hear! Will try in the morning and let you know how I get on.

11. nsxfan

nsxfan Read Only Funster

Hmm.. tried that, no joy. Have to conclude the pump is knackered. Off to get a new one.

12. Douglas

Can I have the old one, I'm sure I can get it working again and I can us it to auto water the green house.

Doug...

13. pappajohn

worth a try...a new switch is a lot cheaper than a new pump. :Sad: