Interesting Electric Lambretta (1 Viewer)

Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
They're becoming more common. This one looks nice. If the technology gets better I'd add one to my collection . But having had a few and still do. I prefer the 'stinky' version. Interestingly, for those who didn't know, the Lambretta was the first production two wheeler to be fitted with a disc brake.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
I thought for a vehicle to attain historic status it had to be A; over 40 years and B; not modified too much away from the original.
This is a completely different vehicle to that originally sold.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I can't see the point of it,, anyone wanting a 1960's classic surely would want it as original as possible.
There's a lot of it going on now, check out Vintage Voltage TV program. I think some of is being by the desire for a particular car but reliable and some of it by people getting around ULEZ.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I thought for a vehicle to attain historic status it had to be A; over 40 years and B; not modified too much away from the original.
I was surprised but the pictures show the V5 and the description says it was an italian import so must have been recently registered.

Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
I wonder if they register scooter with original parts ( I have just imported a Lambretta Lui and had to have frame and engine numbers inspected for V5) once registered they could then swap engine and notify to get V5 changed to electric.
I prefer the original two stroke 👍

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Exactly so. For the past 15 years I have been authorised to, and regularly carried out inspections on behalf of the DVLA/VOSA on unregistered ('barn find') or reconstructed (Bitsa) motorbikes. The major components - e.g. frame, engine, gearbox, suspension, can be of different years but must be 'of the era' which it is claimed to be. I wouldn't accept the 'Lambretta' as a Lambretta or historic..

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I'm not surprised it's not sold if they are looking for £14000 plus.

Lenny HB There is quite a big business in electricfying classic cars. This guy does some fantastic conversions and is very busy -

I guess you get the classic look without the downside of poor performance. Similar there are companies that build classic cars with modern engines suspension brakes. Got £300K for an E type?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I wonder if they register scooter with original parts ( I have just imported a Lambretta Lui and had to have frame and engine numbers inspected for V5) once registered they could then swap engine and notify to get V5 changed to electric.
Yes, you can fit engines and gearboxes etc. of different years to that shown for the bike on the V5 but they must be from the original manufacturer and 'of the era' as the the original bike. It's common practice and acceptable to upgrade safety items, brakes, tyres, lights (e.g. fit LED lighting) and fit indicators, etc.
If replacing the ICE with an electric motor you would have to notify a change to the method of propulsion which would/should result in needing an inspection, although it's early days for electric motorcycles so I've never had that situation yet, but in view of the reported fires with EV's it might well trigger a requirement for a 'construction and use' safety inspection. :unsure:

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Watched something on YouTube where they took out a dirty smelly V12 from an E Type and put an electric motor in it😳😳

Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
I had a Lambretta in the mid sixties and two Hillman Imps in the late sixties and would love one of each now and in original form .
Here’s mine both 60’s , great fun
IMG_1094.jpeg
IMG_1182.jpeg

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I would love a 70s mini or Hillman imp to convert.
My first car was a 1964 Morris Mini .. Reg. BHS 18B ... long gone to the scrapyard no doubt .. loved that car ,was never bored with it, always needed something done, clutch replaced due to oil seal leaking , new rear sub frame, CV joints.. engine oil seals, etc .. spent more time under it than in it ..

and also worked in the Chrysler factory in Linwood when the Imp was in production.. my cousin had one , I preferred my Mini ..

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I would too, I cant see the point of an E Type or Ferrari without the soundtrack, but I would seriouslh consider ditching a flat 4 beetle engine and some of the other underpowered boring stuff.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
how do they define that for driving licences could i drive it on a car licence or with just a cbt as theres no cc to it any more

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
how do they define that for driving licences could i drive it on a car licence or with just a cbt as theres no cc to it any more
In the description it says that DVLA consider it learner legal, less than 11KW perhaps.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
. I wouldn't accept the 'Lambretta' as a Lambretta or historic..
Somebody is as its clearly shown on the V5. I agree with you, it would seem to be a major change and not really historic. I think in this case they should have registered as an Electric Motorcycle.

For anyone thats interested, here are the converters.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back