Insurance Whilst MH in Storage in Spain (1 Viewer)

Jan 6, 2014
Southport
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2008
We are thinking of leaving our Motorhome in storage in Spain this winter for a few months, flying back to the UK and picking it up again early next year.

But cant find any UK based Insurance company that will Insure us for doing this.
Have tried Canopius (who used to offer it), Caravan Guard, Comfort.
All are a definate NO.

Any suggestions re companies I could try would be much appreciated.
I have though of possibly using a Spanish company - if someone could reccomend one.

Many thanks

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
How about an English broker in Spain? May be able to offer a solution if you can't get anything through your uk insurance.
I have all of my insurances with a company called EU Direct, they have an office in Marbella, and I always deal with a lady named Wendy - contact no is
+34 952830843

Email. Info@euinsurancedirect.com

Good luck!

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i have np here in benidorm with storage on comfort insurance?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bovisand
Jan 6, 2014
Southport
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2008
Thanks guys for the prompt replys.
I have been in touch with Abbeygate (Estepona) and currently waiting for them to get back.

ukbill
Rang Comfort yesterday and it was a definite no.
Maybe things have changed

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
Your van is insured wit LV even if you leave it, but only up to the 180 days max out if the country

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
these are who my son used when they had their UK car and in Spain... http://www.abbeygateinsure.com
They still used them after transferring it to spanish plates.

I asked Abbeygate for a quote ( I have a Spanish house and car) and when I asked them to clarify one or two points as to how well the insurance would cover the vehicle, the answer was go away you are being difficult and they refuse to cover me to this day.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Like I said - Wendy at EU direct ..........
English, polite and very helpful.
I have my car, scooter, boat and health insurance through her, highly reccomended.
And yes, I did shop around, but she was tops every time.

OP
OP
Bovisand
Jan 6, 2014
Southport
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2008
Tried Abbeygate and they would only insure me if I had a permanent Spanish address.
Have also tried Comfort again, they asked me to email the details and they would put it to thier underwriters.

Brewery Dave
I will give Wendy at EU a call tomorrow.

Thanks again, I'll keep plugging away.

OP
OP
Bovisand
Jan 6, 2014
Southport
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2008
Just to update.
Have now tried all suggestions and alas no one can offer us insurance for storage in Spain.
The Spanish companies I have tried (incl Wendy at EU) will only offer cover if I have a Spanish address where the Motorhome is kept when not in storage.

suandjohn
Have you any more details of your insurance with LV. Is it direct or via a UK broker/

Thanks again everyone for you suggestions, but proving a real problem this one.
I'm guessing a lot that do it, must just take a chance.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Thats exactly what we did - took a chance and it worked for us.

We were very happy with the company we used and would use them again if the need arose.
http://www.autocaravanasseyla.es/

Fully secured compound with lots of Mhs in there ( many of them british). cameras, etc. Its right next to Malaga airport cost 50 euros/month with I think 10 euros transfer.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have left our van on a few campsite pitches and also at campsite storage ( max 3 weeks) and took the risk. Enquired in early days with insurance companies and most have a clause saying not covered when motorhome left unattended by more than xx hours ie 36.. Unless its left at stated home/storage address.
As for the LV cover, I doubt it is but would like to be proved wrong. (y)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I don't know about motorhomes being left in storage, but we left our caravan in spain for 2 years and it was covered with towergate insurance, might be worth contacting them.
Bob.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Another vote forAbbeygate insurance in Spain. We have both our car and motor home insured with them. Both our vehicles are on Spanish plates but I do know that they will cover British registered vehicles.
English speaking staff and policy documents in English.

You are allowed to have a British registered vehicle in Spain for up to a maximum of 6 months per calendar year.

Just a couple of words of caution though: so far as I'm aware insurance companies in Spain only do annual policies. Also do ALWAYS demand to see and read through really carefully a specimen policy before signing up for any Spanish insurance contract - insurance laws and norms are different here from the UK and you may wrongly assume levels of cover /exclusions if you don't read the small print.

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
Just to update.
Have now tried all suggestions and alas no one can offer us insurance for storage in Spain.
The Spanish companies I have tried (incl Wendy at EU) will only offer cover if I have a Spanish address where the Motorhome is kept when not in storage.

suandjohn
Have you any more details of your insurance with LV. Is it direct or via a UK broker/

Thanks again everyone for you suggestions, but proving a real problem this one.
I'm guessing a lot that do it, must just take a chance.
Hi again

I rechecked with LV and scanned their policy. I am assured that you Can leave the vehicle. We insure with LV directly. Hope you get sorted out

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back