Insulating habitation windows

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by golly, Feb 15, 2013.

1. golly

golly Funster

I'm sure someone must have done this before, but thought I would pass on this little tip.

We were away in the van last week end and it was cold, nice and warm in the van but on a night, the large side windows in the habitation even though double glazed were letting a lot of heat escape. The cab windows were ok (thermal blinds), I bought a couple of camping Kip mats, cut them to size for the two side windows, cut outs for the catches and bingo, no cold coming through windows:thumb:. Easy enough to remove for during the day and the internal blinds can still be used and it looks ok from the outside.

John

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  2. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

I saw an autotrail 2007 with its hab windows covered up in the cold snap we had all covered with interior thermal screens, he must have found somewhere that sells them by the yard and made them up himself.
    He took them off when it got warmer but I thought the windows being double glazed were ok?
    Never had to do it with our hab windows, we are warm enough and we keep our blinds open till we go to bed.even in minus 17, 2 years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  3. golly

golly Funster

We had no problem with our last van, but that had smaller windows. The auto-sleeper has a large windows each side, think I am getting soft in my old age. :Laughing:

4. Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM Read Only Funster

I made a cardboard pattern and utilised a set of old insulated inner screen covers. Unpicked the edging and re edged them with the sewing machine. Did all my windows apart from the bathroom from the one set. They fit in between the double glazing and the Remis blinds and they keep us really cosy in the minus temps we have been getting recently.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Daveo2006

Daveo2006 Read Only Funster

We just had some curtains made up as the ones in there were thinner than my briefs.:Rofl1: We decided to go full out and have a set made to divide the cab off fully(right to floor with 2 inches to spare.We also had them thermally lined.Ive just had a couple of cold nights and i kid you not these curtains are the dogs do dos.No condensation and no drafts.

• Like Like x 1
  6. gordoncbrown

gordoncbrown Funster

I use some of the thermal bubble wrap insulation. East to cut and store. Keeps light and heat out in the summer and heatin in the winter. Just use them overnight. Also helps reduce condensation.:Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  7. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

We made a full set of internal blinds using thermal foil bubble wrap and foil tape. During really cold spells it makes quite a difference.We purchased the materials in Wickes.

• Like Like x 2
  8. golly

golly Funster

We have some of this cut to fit in the skylights all four of them:Eeek: i put them in when van parked up on the drive to help keeping the temp above freezing.