Instant Pot use in the Motorhome. (3 Viewers)

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi, we have an Instant Pot in our home kitchen, is it worth taking away for use in the motorhome, we were thinking of using via our 1500w inverter and on mains also when available. Any thoughts on this....

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Why do I bother...:LOL:.......an Instant Pot is a 220v cooking appliance, its a Slow cooker/Pressure cooker....
Not something you SMOKE....I am sure someone on here might have used one.....well I hope so....in the meantime lets have a laugh together...(y):cool::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
having never heard of one of these thingamebobs before, have just been googling, actually they sound like a useful bit of kit for a small kitchen at home or in the van of course, keeps clutter down. (y)
i love one pot cooking, thank you jumar, could be making my life a bit easier..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Why do I bother...:LOL:.......an Instant Pot is a 220v cooking appliance, its a Slow cooker/Pressure cooker....
Not something you SMOKE....I am sure someone on here might have used one.....well I hope so....in the meantime lets have a laugh together...(y):cool::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Well if you will give it a weird name what do you expect.
Us people who live in England call them a multicooker. :ROFLMAO:
We use one at home they are good but a bit bulky for the van, happy with our small pressure cooker in the van. Also why hammer your batteries when you have gas for cooking.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I can just about understand the Pot bit in the name, though I needed the explanation. Now I am struggling with the Instant bit, what is instant about it?

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I think BwB brian has one, but then he is Mr gadget. 😁
They are a multipurpose pressure slow cooker. 🙂 Bob.
Yeah, we have one and use it quite a lot when on the move - in slow cooker mode. Have it tucked up safely and at the end of the drive dinner is ready and waiting. If we're eating at lunchtime then I pressure cook for ten minutes (or whatever) and then click it over to slow cooker. then if we're out and about and lunchtime slips to tea time, nothing is spoiled. When on site the pressure cooker gets good use. Porridge, bread, joints, whole chicken (which tastes better than it looks :) )

I mostly run off the inverter (and if you're on hookup then great). The pressure cooker option is not on for long and the slow cooker doesn't need much power to keep it going.

Used to carry a clever Tefal slow cooker/rice cooker which was great and still gets a lot of use at home but the Instant Pot does two roles in about the same size package so that gets taken in the van.

(Tip - if doing a quick release, carry it outside the van first :) )

If you have an IPot anyway then take it with you and see. There are trips we've done where it's not come out of the cupboard and other times we use it nearly every day.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Martin my poor fellow instant pot owner, these non users just don't understand. 🤔
I am a user and find my similar Pressure King Pro (equally a silly name) an excellent addition to my travelling culinary arsenal.

Knock up a chilli or curry, on the pressure setting and then turn to the slow setting with the lid on loosely for 30 mins or however long you wish. You get the richness of a slow cooked dish but in so much less time.

I will often use mine on the inverter to cook the whatever during the day, when the sun is high and the batteries have chance to recover. Then will put it on the warm or slow cook function nearer the time we want to eat it. I have cooked a whole chicken in mine, but the Spanish chickens are usually too big to go in. I have also cooked a banana cake and rice pudding, all yummy.

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Martin my poor fellow instant pot owner, these non users just don't understand. 🤔
I am a user and find my similar Pressure King Pro (equally a silly name) an excellent addition to my travelling culinary arsenal.

Knock up a chilli or curry, on the pressure setting and then turn to the slow setting with the lid on loosely for 30 mins or however long you wish. You get the richness of a slow cooked dish but in so much less time.

I will often use mine on the inverter to cook the whatever during the day, when the sun is high and the batteries have chance to recover. Then will put it on the warm or slow cook function nearer the time we want to eat it. I have cooked a whole chicken in mine, but the Spanish chickens are usually too big to go in. I have also cooked a banana cake and rice pudding, all yummy.

Thanks Sandra and BwB, great replies...we use the Instant Pot daily at home...it's so handy to have one appliance that does so many types of cooking....so it works off the inverter...great....will cook while traveling..great...that what I needed to know....
What I didn't need to know was...why bother....or why call it a stupid name...well I didn't...the manufacturer named it because that's what it does...
I appreciate replies to the question not opinion's from those who didn't even know what I was referring too....I also appreciate the funny comments....made me laugh....well said...
Like many times on this forum you get the answer to a question, but also get replies from some who ain't got a clue but still need to add their bit....

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
As I said on another post we have bought a slow cooker for the van. If for the cost alone ,£20 ,I don’t think we can justify a pot cooker.
We have been using a slow cooker at home for years and it is an easy way to have meals ready at the end of a day. I don’t think we have ever owned a pressure cooker. I thought they had gone out of fashion.
We have solar and two leisure batteries but I can’t see the need for an inverter for a couple of nights off grid to run the slow cooker. We will need site services every two or three nights due to the size of our tanks.
Each to there own we like to try and keep things simple and cheap.

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Thanks guys.....got a couple of sensible answers....that's what I needed....think I will close this down now to stop it going totally off topic.......going to have fun testing it out while traveling along with dinner cooking in the garage.....Instant Pot...brand name....that's the one.....best home cooker ever owned....now to become the most versatile motorhome cooker.....Dinner is served my Lord...😄😄😆👍🙄

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
When we're travelling for more than just a weekend I take a small pressure cooker which I use on the hob. I've got a small Pressure King Pro but don't think I'd bother with it in the MH. Not keen on slower cooker food, it all seems to taste the same!

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
When we're travelling for more than just a weekend I take a small pressure cooker which I use on the hob. I've got a small Pressure King Pro but don't think I'd bother with it in the MH. Not keen on slower cooker food, it all seems to taste the same!

Don't you find the gas blows out when traveling?
That's why an Instant Pot is useful....it's electric.....cooking a meal while traveling, the pot safely secured in the MH garage running off an inverter....dinner ready as the cork is popped....👍

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
I've had one for years and use it at least a couple of times a week, but I think its too big and bulky for the MH. Having said that, I've often considered buying the 3L mini one to take away in the MH but I'm not sure we'd actually use it because we tend to eat different things whilst we're away. But if I was going to take one with me I think the mini version would be plenty big enough for the two of us.

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Have you tried doing the naked chicken? No water no nothing and it comes out lovely. Also lamb shanks? Lovely . And have you tried chicken curry in there? None of these taste the same and it’s lovely to come back to after being out all day 👍

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Don't you find the gas blows out when traveling?
That's why an Instant Pot is useful....it's electric.....cooking a meal while traveling, the pot safely secured in the MH garage running off an inverter....dinner ready as the cork is popped....👍
I've got the Pressure King Pro but to be honest I prefer my gas one! I've only used it a few times and it seems to take forever to get to pressure. Don't know if the Instant Pot's any quicker but I'm not forking out for one to find out, LOL!

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Have you tried doing the naked chicken? No water no nothing and it comes out lovely. Also lamb shanks? Lovely . And have you tried chicken curry in there? None of these taste the same and it’s lovely to come back to after being out all day 👍
Are you talking about a Slow Cooker? If so the answer is yes, yes & yes! I agree about those but I'm talking in terms of stews & soups which is what I mainly use it for.

Still prefer my gas pressure cooker for most things. Don't tend to cook a whole chicken when we're away in the van!

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
We have one of these and as others have said use it for cooking just about anything.
It is 800 watts so good on 6 amps.
We use it pretty much every day when on electric

( We also have an oven, grill, four ring gas hob)

<Broken link removed>

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Still prefer my gas pressure cooker for most things. Don't tend to cook a whole chicken when we're away in the van!
Would be without a normal pressure cooker at home or away, we do cook chickens in ours and they come out lovely and moist, no crispy skin but that can be easily remedies by taking it off and sticking it in the frying pan if you're desperate! Of course the advantage of pressure cooking it is that you then get the lovely juice from the chicken to make gravy with ... mmmmmmm.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back