Induction hot plates ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Feb 20, 2009.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Has anyone bought one for the van.. ?

They have come down in price and I wondered if they were any good ..

The ones I've looked at seemed a bit 'plasticy' and not very robust.. do they stand up to constant use and the rigours of van life.. or are they liable to break down ?

thanks for any feedback

Jim

2. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

On sale in most Lidls and are £29 now.

Eileen (Dylan) has one in her home and swears by it:Wink:

I am thinking of getting one.

3. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

We are thinking of getting one as our friends have one in their truck camper and were so impressed that they have now bought one for their fifth wheel.

The first one they purchased only had 5 heat settings and they found they were too far apart for total controlability. The second one is Prima and has 10 heat settings. They reckon they can boil a 2 litre kettle in 3 minutes. As far as durability is concerned they haven't had it long enough to find out.

I believe you can only use certain metal kitchenware, but there is available a plate to go on top of the unit to enable the use of other materials, eg glass, copper based pans etc. but it is expensive.

Nigel and Pamala

4. olley

olley Funster

Hi you can only use Ferrous based pots and pans, ie. Steel, cast iron. Also some S/S pots won't work either.

Olley

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  5. scotjimland

Good point Olley.. we have a set of heavy duty s/s pots .. I tested with a magnet and it pulled quite firmly .. do you think they would be ok ?

Thanks for the other replies .. doesn't look as though many have one yet ..

Cheers

Jim

6. olley

olley Funster

Hi jim I believe that if a magnet is attracted to them then their ok. Its to do with the nickel content, to high and they become non-magnetic.

Franke sinks used to be 18/10 S/S and if I remember they were non-magnetic
    We used to flog induction hobs back around 1990, made by De-Detrich, I think then they were around £1000, we didn't sell many. :BigGrin:

Olley

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  7. Bugsy

Bugsy Read Only Funster

I have an induction hob at home and when I need to buy saucepans or frying pans I just take a magnet with me. If the magnet sticks they're fine, if it doesn't they won't work!

Toni

8. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

As RR said I love mine its a Stellar make and has different heat settings on Heat and for Fry. Use it all the time when Rayburn not up to it and for quickness ! Use Judge pans and looked on the box and it says "suitable for induction plates". Very quick to use and wouldn't be without it in the house so I'm sure it would be very useful in the van.
    Eileen

9. traveller

traveller Read Only Funster

We have one at home but all the pans we had wouldnt work on the induction hob even the ones a magnet was attracted to. The double skillet that a lot of folk use in their motor homes wont work either thats why I dont use the hob in the van. Some stainless steel pans work others dont. Unless of course our hob is faulty.We bought a seperate set for home & very pleased with the hob itself.

BTW the base also has to be flat none of those ridges

Mororhomer

10. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

How many amps do they consume?

Many sites in the UK only have 10 amps and abroad they often only have 6 amps.

Also the power sockets in the van often go through a 10 amp circuit breaker - please check your van supply before buying.

Finally it all sounds rather heavy - I imagine you have plenty of spare payload.

11. scotjimland

How many amps do they consume?

The ones I've looked at are 1800 watt = ~ 7.82A on full power

Many sites in the UK only have 10 amps and abroad they often only have 6 amps.

I have fitted an Owl Wireless Power meter on the 230v incoming supply in order to monitor and manage consumption.

Also the power sockets in the van often go through a 10 amp circuit breaker - please check your van supply before buying.

Mine is 16 Amp.

Finally it all sounds rather heavy - I imagine you have plenty of spare payload.

Actually they are a lot lighter than the solid iron plate type which we have at present, one of the reasons I was interested in buying, they are also a lot more efficient.

Cheers

Jim

12. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Hi Jim,

Since when could you cook:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

13. scotjimland

Hi Peter ..

You may be a stranger to the culinary art,...but I do all the cooking .. and I don't mean opening cans or packets and heating up.. .. :Wink:

Jan does the washing up though :Laughing::Laughing:

14. ralph-dot

ralph-dot Read Only Funster

I have one in the van and love it, the temperature control is amazing, I did have to get some new pans but it was worth it, I even use it at home. :thumb:

Ralph

15. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

Hi Jim, you have an outfit many of us can only imagine in our dreams however is is a little different from the norm. I do not imaging that weight and storage space are as important to you as to those of us that drive around in campervans.

In my case, I have a LWB Renault Master van conversion, weight is no concern as I am nowhere near the MAM. However storage and electrical capacity are. I only have a 10 Amp breaker for my 3-pin plugs.

Your assurance that the consumption is only 7 amps or so is reassuring.

16. madbluemad

madbluemad

Hi Jim, a lot of stainless steels are magnetic. It just depends upon the amount of ferrite thats in them. If a magnet will hold firmly and I mean firmly there will be a relativley high amount of ferrite in there but whether they will do the job is something else.

Jim

:thumb:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009