In praise of the Ford Transit (1 Viewer)

donnieban

Free Member
Jun 19, 2016
Highland
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
A newbie
Had a short drive home tonight in a Ford Transit, havent driven one in about 10 years. They seem to drive as good as ever. 6 speed box, loads of torque, bit of twin rear wheel spin at the foot of a steep hill (empty pick up) but really nice driving with great headlights. A 120 mile run thru to the Ford Dealership in Inverness tomorrow for servicing.

Would I be equally impressed with a similar drive in a 14 plate Fiat/ Peugeot?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Love transits myself but that's because I haven't driven much else in 20 odd years.. if you like them you don't tend to change lol.
My son drives all sorts of vans and he thinks the rwd transits are by far the best drive in the vans he's had..
Currently have a mk7 converted camper and a mk8 coach built chausson... both developing around 150 odd bhp.
The mk7 is a better drive...don't have to be up and down the box in the mk7.... both 6 speed but different final drive ratios on diff.
A remap on the mk8 might improve that... still considering that option..
Mk7 at 70mph does 3000rpm
Mk8 at same speed does 2000rpm but won't pull at any real load in top while the mk7 will without changing down..
But yes both very nice to drive.
Andy.

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Drove a hire transit a few weeks ago having not driven one for a long time and was the usual no nonsense van easy to drive. But I wouldnt dream of owning one as part of a motorhome package as evidence suggests that the transit is by far the easiest to steal and a favourite of those ne'erdowells that plague the wide world.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Just bought the brand new rollerteam 690 on a 2 litre ford transit with 6 gears. I was impressed by the habitation side of things but when i got to drive it deary me ! Admittedly my recent driving experience of vans has been limited to the 1.9JTD Peugeot at 10 years old, however numerous years of driving different ivecos and Mercs but this thing is lovely, plenty torque if you decide, no noise, gearing is a little low for my style (Roadcraft) but i have to disagree with the revs per speed. I popped up to 70 without noticing, flat motorway, bunged into 6th and I m doing 70 on cruise control at 1700 revs (empty) I have yet to fill the van up twice but from what i can tell at the moment i m at least 33mpg and expecting 35 + if the figures on the dash are correct.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
donnieban

donnieban

Free Member
Jun 19, 2016
Highland
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
A newbie
Our local authority have fleet shifted to Vauxhall pick ups. There has been no end of grief with them even when nearly new. The Fords are the ones that our guys want to drive. Havent lost any yet (y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the ford transit is the most stolen van for 2 reasons

1 they are very good vans
2 they are by far the easiest to steal

i would not have one under a motorhome unless it had the locks all changed to a non standard type, the obd ii port needs isolating and a proper immobiliser and alarm fitted

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
Had six transits,yes did get one stolen!But love them!I tow a racing car on a trailer so like RWD.the one I have got now is a Mk6 Buccaneer Caravel which was remapped by the Van tuner 4years ago.Came up from the otherside of Reims to Warwick today.390 miles and appears to be going even better than ever.Now coming up to 50k mileage so just run in.Would'nt have anything else!

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Tried it in the same setup as we have now but on a Transit, and didn't enjoy the experience, to be honest.

Easy to drive, a bit bland, but very much in keeping with its heritage more as a working utility vehicle rather than a touring vehicle particularly suited for long haul

Spare/service availability not that great in Spain and Portugal, and almost non existent in Italy

The final decider for us was the fact that the Sevel engine is common to Fiat, Peugeot, Dodge RAM and Citroen, so plenty of parts and service availability. So far we've not been disappointed in Fiat

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Tried it in the same setup as we have now but on a Transit, and didn't enjoy the experience, to be honest.

Easy to drive, a bit bland, but very much in keeping with its heritage more as a working utility vehicle rather than a touring vehicle particularly suited for long haul

Spare/service availability not that great in Spain and Portugal, and almost non existent in Italy

The final decider for us was the fact that the Sevel engine is common to Fiat, Peugeot, Dodge RAM and Citroen, so plenty of parts and service availability. So far we've not been disappointed in Fiat
Ditto(y)

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I'd never buy a MH with a ford cab even if it was £5k cheaper than a Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen/Mercedes/Renault/DAF/MAN/LDV/Iveco.

But I'm sure they're lovely

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Today I had to drive our abused 57 plate Transit FWD works van - first time for years.......What a joy! - easier to drive than either of my cars (a Jag and PT Cruiser :Eeek:) or my MH - 1991 Renault (no surprise then) or my previous 2004 Fiat 2.8JTD

If I ever change my MH I would seriously look at a Transit

(y)

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
pedal box is the only sure way to keep a transit Link Removed
But that won't stop them getting in. It's essential to change the Tibbe cab lock for something more secure or to supplement it with deadlocks.

Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
They are nice enough to drive until the engine fails with a hole in the piston and a £7k bill all with less than 30,000 miles. Have a look on the Web.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
But could it be worse that the gearbox issues on Fiats?.:):whistle:

2007 X250 six speed box back for FULL rebuild after only 500miles!.

Pete

Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Have a read of the attached. If you speak German

Attachments

• SPHY-Kopier16112117320.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

froggy59

Free Member
Jul 12, 2011
walkden
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2009
I love my burstner on a transit base, and it doesn't matter what locks you have the windows will break easily. And habitation doors are a weak point on all motorhomes.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Not saying they are any worse just want to say all Transits are made in Turkey now .

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
A new base vehicle , Italian , french, German or Turkish .There may be others .

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The last tranny I had was a mk1 v4..
Took the lump out, fitted a german cast V6 ( did not over heat like the brit cast ones ) with a diesel nose on the van to accomodate
Used a couple of prop shafts as Lakes pipes ( exhausts ), a mk3 Zodiac diff and made up a dual line braking system
I did an awful lot of work on the lump ( from cams to head work to better con rods to .. well you get the idea ) but to go in to detail would bore the pants off every one :)
I was stopped on the M11 ( there was only a short bit of it back then ) ..
Cop came up, wanted the bonnet up, him and his mate crawled all over it.. asked lots of questions..
Me standing there twitching cos I knew full well why I had been nabbed..

So, officer, what did you clock me at ?

We got you at 130mph and accelerating

GULP !!!!! ( speedo only went up to 8 so I had absolutely NO idea what I was doing )

But we are gonna let you off with a stern warning ...

Me looking quizzical and VERY relieved !

Couple of reasons son.. The van is well put together and the fact you sorted the stopping as well as the going is good..

Thank you officer

But the main reason ( and I kid you not, this is verbatim ) is there is no way I am gonna stand up in court and admit we could not catch a 10 year old Transit van !!

This is all true and I can still produce two witnesses who were in the van with me at the time :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back