Importing UK panel van conversion to Portugal (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2023
Weymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
DIY Transit
Exp
On first long trip
We're thinking of selling up and moving to Portugal, becoming Resident there. One snag I can see is that (obviously) DVLA haven't declared our DIY Transit to be a Camper Van (see endless tales of woe from those who've tried) , although thats what it clearly is. Has anyone any experience of registering a PVC in Portugal?

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
The "expawers" tried importing a van from Germany to Spain, they did a few videos on it, here's a link to one.

I know it's not Portugal, but it certainly highlights possible issues....

Cheers
Red

Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
I've no experience of UK to Portugal but anecdotally have for UK to France....standard cars and motorbikes = no problem. A decent proportion of campervans and MoHo's = big issues/headaches with big expense changing a variety of things in the vehicle.
I'd spent some time sussing out the prices in Portugal first. It may be like France where they're cheaper than their equivalents in the UK and you don't have the registration issues.

Deleted User
We looked at Portugal before settling on France and even bought some land there. One of the big put-offs was the extortionate import duty levied on bringing vehicles from abroad. Car prices in Portugal are even higher than in France and then the import tax is hiked up to dissuade residents looking abroad for more cost effective options.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back