Importing American RV into France (1 Viewer)

Goose

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Funsters. Does anyone have any experience (or know of anyone who had expeience) with importing an American RV into France?

Wife and I are considering moving directly to France from Canada instead of via the UK. Would I be correct in thinking it would be a lot cheaper to import directly into France from the USA and not have to get MOTed in the UK, only to change eadlights etc back again in France?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
As I understand it from speaking to expats who have tried importing American RV's to France it's practicaly impossible to get through the French equivalant of our MOT with an RV

I recently sold a Winnebago to an English guy living in France and he is retaining British plates on it and returning to GB when the MOT is due

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Goose

Much as I hate to spoil your plans - you will NOT (and I mean Capital letters NOT) be allowed to register your RV in France it just isn't possible unless you know the French President on first name terms - and even then there is a doubt!

Speak direct to Bob and Di Banks, the Proprietors of the premier and best known RV park in France. www.parcverger.com or email: pvbureau@parcverger.com

0033 672 358688

In 2004 when we started the Big Pitch Guide we found that there were well over 1 million RVs in America, there were 7000 in the UK and there were 11 in France since when no other RV has been registered in France, that I know of.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We met a French couple with an RV and they had registered it in Belgium. No other information but it may be worth investigating..

jim

weymard

Free Member
Jan 25, 2009
CHERBOURG NORMANDY
Funster No
MH
US TRUCK CAMPER
Exp
I disagree with other Funsters, it is possible to import an RV in France. But you must change all propane system and heater and water heater, and convert all electrical system in 220 volts French standards (all modifications must be do by a professional). You must change the rear light turns in "orange" and you need to have ALL documents about RV and about frame, motors. If you choose a gas motor and want install a LPG, you MUST install FRENCH LPG by a professional.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
it is possible ...I know a french guy with a winnebago brave 29ft

but it is difficult as others have suggested !

the main reason why few do it in france is that almost no-one has a licence to drive a vehicle over 3.5 tonnes presuming the vehicle meets EU normes

re-wiring indicators and change to 220v equally applies in germany

getting type approval documents without a french importer is difficult but such documents will be accepted from the manufacturer if presented in the correct form ; normally lpg conversions done elsewhere are accepted , but once registered the vehicle can only be converted by an approved french professional

presumably you speak french so why not seek counsel from one of the french websites ?
but registering in the uk first would NOT be a good idea ...you would achieve nothing

and someone in belgium would probably know the wrinkles about importing into france

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back