Immobilisers first fitted to Ducatos?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by hymerhobo, Jun 8, 2010.

1. hymerhobo

hymerhobo Read Only Funster

I have just been categorically informed by my insurer's tele-helpdesk that Fiat started fitting immobilisers to Ducatos from 1996 onwards. The help agent said they needed to know if I had a factory-fitted immobiliser, I said I didn't know, and he asked someone else who came out with the above story. Not that I distrust information gleaned in this fashion, but can anyone confirm this here? If I were to claim and it emerged that my Ducato doesn't have an immobiliser, then I could argue til I was blue in the face for all the good it would do.

If my vehicle doesn't have one, then would a self-fit immobiliser be satisfactory, I wonder? A hidden switch connected to the the pump solenoid via a relay perhaps ...

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

firstly i doubt very much that a DIY fit immob would be satifactory for insurers.

they usually require a thatcham cat 2 and a professional installation certificate to match.

secondly....they are getting you to do their job.
    they will have access to every base vehicle manufactures spec on immobilizers/alarms fitted at factory.

i have always been ask if it has a standard factory fit or otherwise (toad...cobra etc) and they know what was fitted in a particular year on different models.

3. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Hi if your unsure pm me a picture of your ignition key and I will tell you, or email it to eddie@vanbitz.com

Eddie

4. hymerhobo

hymerhobo Read Only Funster

Will do, and thanks. In the meantime though, what is it about the key that would tell you? Is there a general rule about the style or shape of the key?

5. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Yep! The key for vehicles without an immobiliser is a different style to the key for vehicles with an immobiliser:Doh:

If the van if fitted with an immobiliser there is a chip in the key to turn off the immobiliser so the key looks different

Google transponder immobilisers if your interested in how they work, and send me a picture of the key if you'd like to know which you have

Eddie