Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Hi All,
We are off to Belgium at the end of the month and have most of the trip planned but we have a day and night sized gap in our itinerary. The gap is in between Dinant and Geraardsbergen, so looking for something/somewhere to break up the journey, Castles, scenery, Towns, nice stopovers, that sort of thing. I've been looking on google maps but nothing has popped out yet, any recommendations anyone?
1683705137342.png

Martin

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Pop into journals

Found on the left

Look for one marked up "Bergues"

It was before I knew what I think I know now with journal entries so you have to scroll across on a phone or use the drop down menu.

A few hints for Belgium and fairly certain covers your area

Or click the link.

Journal entry 'Bergues' Broken Link Removed

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Plus one for the Boat Lift at Strépy Thieu. Free overnight beside the canal, the 3 older boat lifts in walking distance from parkup but the big new one not far away. New one closed for visits on a Monday.

Has anyone been to Strepy recently as it's disappeared from the 'aire' sites as the Mayor was having a purge (although I can't see the Belgians putting up with that)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Has anyone been to Strepy recently as it's disappeared from the 'aire' sites as the Mayor was having a purge (although I can't see the Belgians putting up with that)
This was discussed at the end of last year, we came back from Germany and this is our normal stop as the vet we use is in Mons.
Was told that it had been shut down so we went to the marina stop people then said it was still open and some cruel 🤬🤬🤬🤬 even posted a picture of the ice cream they got from Mr Sandman 🥲🥲

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Both have been mentioned and both well worth a visit.

Battle of Waterloo site.

TheThieu boats lift there are several old ones within a few miles we spent a day going around them all.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Was told that it had been shut down so we went to the marina stop people then said it was still open and some cruel 🤬🤬🤬🤬 even posted a picture of the ice cream they got from Mr Sandman 🥲🥲

There are some really hurtful members on the forum ..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

As Coastal Cruiser. suggests, check out previous posts re the boat lift

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
This was discussed at the end of last year, we came back from Germany and this is our normal stop as the vet we use is in Mons.
I am not sure that the car park at the new lift is ok for overnight, we haven’t used it for that, just for the visit. I don’t think the one by the canal on the quay is an official aire either as I don’t remember seeing the usual roadside sign. However we stayed there last October with others.
6717E792-9827-414B-A9BB-6D4838805892.jpeg

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I am not sure that the car park at the new lift is ok for overnight, we haven’t used it for that, just for the visit. I don’t think the one by the canal on the quay is an official aire either as I don’t remember seeing the usual roadside sign. However we stayed there last October with others.View attachment 750834
The car park by the boat lift is a big no no!! although I have seen vans park there even though a mile away you can park for free without annoying anyone☹️

We are back over soon but now tend to go on the tunnel on a late crossing then stay in France overnight then get going in the morning, will try to stop there on the way back to get the dogs wormed at the vet in Mons, 10 min drive away.

kevinbolton260362

Free Member
Sep 29, 2022
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9094DF
Exp
Since 2016
Hi there, this
Hi All,
We are off to Belgium at the end of the month and have most of the trip planned but we have a day and night sized gap in our itinerary. The gap is in between Dinant and Geraardsbergen, so looking for something/somewhere to break up the journey, Castles, scenery, Towns, nice stopovers, that sort of thing. I've been looking on google maps but nothing has popped out yet, any recommendations anyone?
View attachment 750739

Martin
probably won’t help you unless you can change your itinerary. We have just visited a place called Leuven, approx 15km east of Brussels. It has some amazing buildings. If it isn’t in your plan just give it a Google.

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for your recommendations everyone, looks like it have a bit of travel journaling to read! I'm going to research the boat lift as I would like to see that, I say "I" not sure the wife and kids will be interested but hey, I'm doing the driving so they've not much choice😂
Already got Bruges, Grotte de Hans and Dinant on the itinerary and a campsite with a pool for the kids. Hopefully some of the ideas above will fill in the gap nicely 😊

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back