I Think We Have Just Been Where You Fiats Dare Not Tread

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by laneside, Nov 7, 2010.

1. laneside

laneside Funster

We have just done the Journey from Minehead over Porlock Hill down to Lynmouth and out again towards Barnstable
    What a beautiful run that was on a sunny Autumn day

We are in our Autosleeper on a rear wheel drive Trannie and with the leaves on the road it skipped a wee bit I am fairly sure front wheel drive Fiats would not have made it, but who dares wins it was spectacular. I just wish there had been a suitable stopping place to take some pictures for you, especially as you mount the rise before Lynmouth which looks like an I want to go back situation but is not as bad as first appearances sugest.

Rising out of Lynmouth is somewhat steep with at least one hairpin bend on a one in four hill that I am fairly certain the Fiats would not have negotiated.

Just waiting for someone to say we did it in our Fiat as I am sure they will

Alan and Lynda ---- Still enjoying retirement

2. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

We had a rear blow out on the scooter on Lynmouth bank in September. Its flipping steep! about a mile up the road before you get to the steep bank there is a good pull in. We parked the van there and used the bike (well until it blew a tyre going back up)

3. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

My favourite part of the world which we are yet to do in the motorhome, especially Malmsmead, Oare and Badgeworthy Water. :Smile:

Is the woodcarving store still in Lynmouth? Forty years ago I promised to buy myself a full size figure of a trapper/hunter with a deer on his shoulder when I had enough cash, not bothered now

Think your right on Porlock Hill with a front wheel drive, we failed to climb a cobblestone road in the wet in Halifax on Wednesday, lucky I had somewhere to roll back and turn round! :Angry:

4. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Went up our Boxer and it flew up! Quite suprised, as I was intending to take the low road, but having travelled that route quite often - totally forgot and went for the hill!

Had to use 1st around the bend, then 2/3 all the way!

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Pah, says a Fiat owner.

You need to get to Switzerland you do, over there what you describe would be called a speed bump.

6. dshague

dshague Funster

went up two years ago in fiat 100 multijet lunar moonstar . this year flew up in our 2.3 pvc swift mondial .there is nothing wrong with the fiat now its had the judder fixed :thumb:

7. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Very true crackin machine to drive :thumb:

8. jezport

jezport Funster

A couple of years aage we were at Minehead but avoided porlock hill as we had a FWD Transit and it lost traction far easier than the Fiat that we now have. We took a nice detour round Exmoor which was rather nice.