i pad mini have you got one

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scammellmanswife, Mar 27, 2013.

1. scammellmanswife

scammellmanswife Funster

My grandaughter aged 11 has just had an i pad mini for her birthday (yeh i know what you re thinking) Anyhow i am thinking it would be a useful bit of kit to have in a motorhome has anyone got one and what do you think is the most useful feature of it. I am asking this because i am a bit of a technical dinasaur and i know there are some very knowledgable folks on this site that will enlighten me.:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Oh dear, this thread will 'get em all hot and bothered' :Rofl1:

I think the Ipad mini is much more versatile than the big one. It is very light and easy to hold. Apple stuff is very well made, very versatile, very desirable and VERY EXPENSIVE :Eek!:

But I'm (probably) going to get one :Smile: I am already in deep with Apple stuff as I have an iPod, and a Macbook Air. I just love it (but you will soon see that a lot of people here won't share the same point of view) :Eek!:

My advice would be have a look at your granddaughter's and go and have a look at the alternatives (samsung, KindleHD for example) and decide for your self.

Good luck :Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  3. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Got 2 .. !!
    I bought them for my grandkids (5&7) when they came out..

Kids love them at home and in the Motorhome.. It's not just games.
    I load on music and Films for them when travelling.
    The 5 year old likes to do Maths apps and also there are some good free language apps. ie Spanish..

Another great use is the Facetime, a bit like Skype but only between Apple products. While away in Morocco the wife and I saw the kids everyday and chatted.. It was fun as they walked around and showed me the snow and I showed them the sea and sun..

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  4. tofo

tofo Funster

Me and mrs t have an I pad each
    Daughter is off to Appel shop tomorrow to acquire one
    Mrs t is going with her I would prefer to stay at home
    But my [STRIKE]card[/STRIKE]:Doh: I am being dragged along
    And I'm sure there is a motive to it

Let you know what I think tomorrow :cry::cry::Doh:​

• Like Like x 1
  5. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Full size or mini it's your choice
    I have had my iPad now for about 18 months
    I have spent a lot of money on stupid things never to be used or replaced when broken and a total waste of money
    But if and when my iPad finally dies or gets broken I will be in apple shop immediately to get a replacement
    I have never had something so useful I watch films listen. To music talk to kids on Skype or FaceTime when I am away plus use it for 90% of my work emails word docs the only thing I can't get it do is make my tea unless I email Elaine in kitchen
    It took me a couple of weeks to get into it but its not hard to use the basics
    I no the anty apple mob will be on here but it's all about choice your choice

• Like Like x 3
  6. duane0001

duane0001 Read Only Funster

Got 4 ipad minis, each one of my 4 children have them
    Wife has an ipad 2 and a macbook air
    I have an ipad 3 and a macbook pro
    oh and we all have an iphone each (6)
    But I could not afford to buy them again

7. duane0001

duane0001 Read Only Funster

Oh and my 2 teenage daughters worked and bought their own iPhones

8. scammellmanswife

scammellmanswife Funster

I didnt know about that feature at all is that just something you can get with apple product is it available on kindle etc
    Sorry meant to highlight facetime!!

Ugggh ........... you already said only between apple products !!!!

I am going bed !!!!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I'm NOT looking for an ipad, mini or otherwise, I haven't got anything against them per se except the price!

I already have a 15.6 inch wide-screen laptop and am looking for something smaller to take on holiday abroad - I won't use it that much there as I do in the UK (with my mobile broadband) so don't really want to be dragging it around with me unnecessarily. We have a 10 inch tablet at the moment (can't remember what it is) but I just can't get on with it possibly because I like a 'proper' keyboard being an ex-PA and even though we have a keyboard and case which attaches to the tablet it just isn't the same, and you can't have the keyboard AND a mouse connected at the same time! :Doh:

We did have a netbook before but sold it when I got my laptop as we didn't think we'd need it any more ... :Blush: So, instead I'm looking for a netbook or small laptop/ultra book type thing, nothing too expensive though.

Remember that to use it abroad you will have to find free wifi (McDonalds etc) as the cost of using a UK mobile broadband dongle will be extortionate!:Eeek:

Basically THINK carefully about what you actually NEED it to do and how you will use it, and then do a lot of research so you know what all the jargon etc means, then buy what is appropriate FOR YOU and NOT just what is the 'in thing' at the moment. The screen on the mini is very small (if your eyesight isn't brilliant this could be a negative for you) compared to a lot of tablets of a larger size which are also a lot cheaper and will probably do what you want without a problem - you don't have to spend a lot and can get some really good ones for well under £100! :thumb:

10. jeepmadmike

jeepmadmike Read Only Funster

I don't know how I managed to exist with my iPhone iPad and mac book

My wife has a iPad mini and I like it a lot, does everything a iPad does but just smaller

I use mine for hours a day (business and pleasure) laptops seem like hard work rather than just pick it up and use it!

• Like Like x 2
  11. 656

656 Read Only Funster

We have 2 iPads, an original and an iPad 3. Both are 64gb WiFi versions and both have Samba sims in them for internet on the move. Watch or play ads to get free airtime. The iPad 3 can be used as a personal hotspot, so lets me pair with my Mac Book Pro for web stuff. When the next significant iPad come out we will upgrade both to those. I just need to get her in doors to go down the iPhone and Mac Book route and we are all sorted. We did think about the mini, but decided full size was best.:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cocoro

Cocoro Read Only Funster

Apple is one retailer I don't mind being marketed at.

Had a Macbook Air 13" for a couple of years now and rather like Charlton Hestons famous (infamous??) line when speaking at the National Rifle Association......."Out of my cold, dead, hands".......I will never let it go.

This year after fighting with myself for some months I bought an ipad mini. Ostensibly I told myself for use as a good sized navigation tool for the van along with Copilot Truck. This is true but rather like standing in front of the cornish pasty shop, I didn't really need much of a reason to go in and buy one. They are there, so I do.

All peoples comments on this thread are true but one important other fact is that with an apple product you will not have the crashes, virus's or otherwise that PC users often get. That I used to get. I spent a fortune in the past on antivirus programmes which I fear only served to slow my laptop down and cost me time and money on the phone trying to get customer service to get me back to work. Really, the antivirus industry is a fantastically self perpetuating business concept. Employ lots of programmers to find ways to block virus's that you have employed lots of programmers to create! Perfect........"Business is slacking a bit Bud, let one of those computer Nerds out of it's box and get him to create a super virus for us to protect our customers from..........ok Clint, I'll get right on it........" $$$$$$$$$$$$

The ipad Mini is your book, your computer, your diary, your entertainment, your Navvie, your reminder, your guide and your easily concealed toilet reading.......should you engage in that awful habit :RollEyes:

If you want one for navigation you'll have to buy the 3G version as only they currently have the GPS built in. However, you can buy an additional GPS dongle to work from also. As far as internet abroad is concerned, I bought from Motorhome Wifi their Mifi box which accepts any sim card. On Monday I bought an French SFR Sim card for ten euro's, loaded it with more data and we can both get online most places in france with it. Simples.

Finally, it's such a lovely object to own, why wouldn't you?

• Like Like x 1
  13. scammellmanswife

scammellmanswife Funster

I really do get fed up with my laptop its always crashing its slow the battery is rubbish and people are saying that this doesnt happen with the i pad. I wasnt thinking about navigation but mabe i should if i am going to invest in one. There is so much to learn about these things thats why i thought i would ask you motorhomers how it gets used by you on a day to day basis. The keyboard side of things is also something to consider as i am now having to manage without my little mouse as i think it has died :cry:so until i can get to shops i am using the touch pad thing and i hate it but mabe that will improve with use.:Smile:

14. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

If you are a techno idiot like I am the iPad is perfect.

I am sure other tablets are good as well.

I haven't used a lap top for 3 years.

15. robnchris

robnchris Funster

i-pad

We are a big fan of the i-pad, our i-pad 2 has just become part of our family and everyday life, it apparently took the late Mr Steve Jobs and Apple by surprise by just how popular it became and for the way people used it.
    It was never intended to be used as a laptop replacement but has certainly gone that way.
    Top product wouldn`t be without it.:thumb:

16. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

You can get Skype for the iPad - I use it on my netbook when I'm in the 'van to talk to my father when he's on his iPad* and it works fine (for messaging, voice and video).

* - probably playing Angry Birds :Doh:

17. cbrookson

cbrookson Funster

If you want one with GPS get the 3G version of the IPad, useful for navigation too. The Google Nexus 7 which is cheaper has GPS in the WiFi version is cheaper ..... and you can download the maps offline - Just a thought!

You need to carefully think what you want it for, but for simple surfing, web browsing and access to books etc on the move a tablet is great. Sadly, our family has a variety of flavours! All of which work well for their intended jobs.

Cheers

18. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

19. olley

olley Funster

For me it comes down to price, most ipads and their look a likes do all the same things so why spend £300-£400 when I can buy a playbook or kindle fire for a lot less money? Within a couple of years they will all be outdated anyway and we will be looking at upgrading.

But as has been said its your money, so spend it on what makes you happy. :BigGrin:

Ian

• Like Like x 1
  20. tofo

tofo Funster

well good news or is it bad news

we now apparentley have an i pAd mini

but its just dissapeared into m&s with
    senior missmanagement (mrs t) &junior missmanagement

me im sat on a seat sulking in lakeside thurrock

i feel so lost and abandoned :cry::cry:

never mind people watching passes the time

:thumb::thumb::thumb: