I need mobile phone and data in Portugal

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Chockswahay, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Can anyone recommend a network please?

I would like to have a local sim card with data and reasonable call costs to uk for 3 months maximum so PAYG only.

I used JoeMobile in France last year which was fantastic but of course French only :Doh:

If anyone can help I'd be much obliged. Lastly it would (probably) need to be a simcard that I can purchase when IN Portugal.

Many thanks

Chox :Smile:

2. Xabia

Xabia Funster

I have a data sim from http://www.motorhomewifi.com/catalog/3g/, 3 euros per day when used, no charge if not connected. Not sure about calls but perhaps they can advise, they are very helpful.:BigGrin:

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  3. laneside

laneside Funster

We have used Vodafone Portugal PAYG most of the way in Portugal and it has been superb

We are not big users so 15 euros lasts us for weeks and it does not run out for 90 days

I have a bit of difficulty understanding the literature but we seem to get 30 hours for our 15 euros as opposed to so many megs

• Like Like x 2
  4. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

The Toggle SIM card currently does not have Portugal listed as one of the 'Toggle Countries' which means unfortunately you can't benefit for cheap calls from Portugal to the UK - they are 23p per minute.

If its possible or appropriate for you to ask those you need to call you however (or send a text or a brief call asking for a call back), then the Toggle SIM does allow free incoming calls for you. The cost for those calling is the same as a regular UK mobile call - so free if they have inclusive minutes.

http://www.motorhomewifi.com/product/toggle-sim-card-free-incoming-calls-abroad/

Hope that helps with the calls side of things :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. JJ

JJ Funster

I use a rolling monthly contract for data. €35 Euros per month unlimited use (15 gig at full speed before throttling to surf only speeds) and then I use my Skype Out account for telephone calls... 1p a minute to landlines and 8p to mobiles.

I have been known to help trustworthy folk without a Portuguese address to get a rolling contract...:Wink:

My people tell me TMN are currently offering the best data deals...

JJ :Cool:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Thanks chaps,

I was clearly spoilt in France (€15) so just need to re set my thought process (whatever that means!).

I really want to get in and out with minimum fuss and cost but of course I do want my cake and I want to eat it in huge portions :Blush::Eek!:

Data is the real need I s'pose, and anything at or around 3gigs a month would probably do it.

I think I should have been born in Yorkshire coz I'm sure I fit the requirements :Eek!::Eeek:

I'm digesting the information at the moment :thumb:

7. JJ

JJ Funster

I reckon if you only need 3 gigs a month you will have many Pay as You Go options here.

8. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Just a thought...

Does anyone know if a Data sim card will work in a phone? The reason I ask is that I use an Asus Tablet phone for my internet needs (it really is a Phablet :Rofl1:)

I could probably manage without the phone bit…...

9. JJ

JJ Funster

I don't know if a data only sim works in smartphones... I suspect not... but of course a mifi thingy overcomes that.

10. veevee

veevee Funster

Hello

I take it you bought a Vodafone Portugal sim? What did the sim cost and was it easy to pick up or did you need an address.

Thanks

11. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

I have a data only SIM in my galaxy note smartphone and I use Skype to call but I also use an English SIM card in another phone to accept texts and calls.(on a 24 month contract so can't be got out of)