May 15, 2012
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Talbot swift Capri
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello everybody,

I recently bought myself a 1993 Talbot Swift Capri 540gxl and am really chuffed with it.
I took it from Brighton to South Hams last weekend for it's first outing and it performed very nicely, lots of fun.
The only problem was that the carver water (which was working last week) would'nt light. The gas bottle was full, the gas lines were turned on, it was full of water, there was power to the control unit and I could hear the ignition clicking but no joy, just very cold showers!

Anyone got any ideas? Would be very much appreciated.

Also the main blow heater in the cab seems to have packed up, the fan works but no heat so cold drive home.

Many thanks

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
hi welcome, whenever i had that problem with my last motorhome heater / boiler it was usually i had not taken the cover off the flue or the flue was blocked. just a stab in the dark:thumb:

Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Congratulations on your new purchase! I've had my first one for just over a month now. Been out for one full weekend away, and am having much fun sorting out those little niggles that come with owning an older van ::bigsmile:

Everyone on here has been very helpful with advice!

I'm sure you'll have loads of fun with it!

:welcomefunster:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Have you changed bottles since it last worked Air in gas lines maybe.
Cab heater,Control cable broken or loose or hot/cold flap inop or stuck,
Thermostat stuck open or missing, over cooling ???

OP
OP
G

Gwyn

Free Member
May 15, 2012
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Talbot swift Capri
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks guys,
I'm going to have a look later and see if I can ascertain whether these might be possible causes. I did change the gas bottle, if air has got in the line for the water heater do I clear it by keeping trying to light it or is there another way?
Thanks for all your suggestions

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Philb

Free Member
Aug 3, 2011
Carmarthen Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Have you got gas at all, ie the hobs? If not check the motion sensor button near to the gas regulator. Just press it in..

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Well done on your new motor home---i bet you wish you bought one years ago ?
I do :thumb:

OP
OP
G

Gwyn

Free Member
May 15, 2012
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Talbot swift Capri
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've wanted one for the last 10 years so it's a dream finally realised for me.

There is gas coming out of the hobs and grill, will check the motion sensor

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi and welcome,
It's hugely exciting isn't it? I've just got my first one too and foresee a whole new life of possibilities. I'm sure my friends and family are sick of hearing about my new project but at least here,you can talk to people who are all equally crazy,(some more than others.):ROFLMAO:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the gas may be an air lock or a bit of grit in the jet. Try purging by several lighting attempts.
the cab heater is probably a broken clip on the control knob or just behind the dash. they tend to seize up over the years and eventually jam solid. not much else to go wrong as the heater matrix is basically a radiator run off the engines cooling system. the control operates a valve. very basic on the old vans, so parts are easy to come by on EBAY

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome to motorhome fun, all these little problems that crop up now and then help us understand our vans better, and the forum is a good source of information. :welcomefunster:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi and welcome :thumb:Carver- Try taking the outer cover off (4 screws) and lighting it with a taper.:thumb:It could have got damp-happened on one of mine yrs ago once warmed up/dried worked fine :thumb:
terry

OP
OP
G

Gwyn

Free Member
May 15, 2012
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Talbot swift Capri
Exp
I'm a newbie
What a warm welcome! Thank you guys for all your suggestions, I'll let you know how I get on. Have got to go away for a fortnight to Ireland for work early tomorrow but I just want to tinker with my new toy!

OP
OP
G

Gwyn

Free Member
May 15, 2012
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Talbot swift Capri
Exp
I'm a newbie
Simplest solution often fits

I'm sure it will come as no surprise to many of you that the problem with my carver heater was operator error.
I had turned off the gas supply to it in my cupboard by accident when packing to go away, Do'h!
Oh well, I now understand a lot more about how it works for when it really breaks down.
It does leak a bit which I assume is frost damage, is that important or easily fixed?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back