I know I'm going to upset somebody...

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Bushtrekker, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Bushtrekker

Bushtrekker Read Only Funster

... but it's not intentional.

As so many people have mentioned they have been to, or are at Marjal, I took a look at their site and video...it's my idea of hell:thumbdown:
    My reason for wanting a motorhome is to get away from people, disco music and all the other stuff which a lot of people seem to need on holiday and I don't drink alcohol so the bars don't attract me.

This being the case, I wondered what sort of proportion of members on here go for sites and how many are like me, only intending to use sites when I need to empty the loo etc.

Cheers, John

• Like Like x 20
  2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

won't upset me John as I agree .. not my cup of tea either..

each to their own...

3. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

Each to their own:thumb:

4. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

IT dont up set me put its not hard to up set them on here:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 5
  5. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

It's the weather and company that makes it good I expect.

I could put up with it that's for sure.

• Like Like x 3
  6. JJ

JJ Funster

I understand what you mean John... but what sites like Marjal prove is that not all motorhomers want the same things...

All the Funsters who use sites seemed to think that Marjal was an excellent one with great facilities...

I don't like sites and especially not huge ones like Marjal but hanging out with the Funsters at the meet made it well worthwhile...

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 11
  7. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

We do a mix, some busy and some quiet sites, others wild camp. Lots of choice to suit all :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bushtrekker

I've never been to Spain, but did go to Portugal a few years back, where I drove a car on the wrong side of the road, with wheel on the wrong side of the car and was terrified by bad roads and worse drivers. I've driven in France and in the States with no problems, but it put me off driving in Portugal. I'm also not very good with hot weather and people, as I've spent my working life talking to them and like to get as far away as possible from people on holiday.:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  9. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi John, firstly you have not been here have you? We admit that we would probably not have come here if it were not for the rally that Jim organised and the fact that we were already in Spain. If you want winter sun and very comfortable surroundings then Marjal is one of the better sites. I (Jane) do not drink either and have not been to the bar and contrary to some reports there is not piped music around the pitches (great BIG pitches, serviced with TV and wifi :Smile:) and still we have been enjoying our stay. I have been making use of the spa and the pools most days, I could use the well appointed gym but am too lazy :Wink: We went out for a cycle earlier, a lovely quiet ride to the local village where we picked up some veg and bread and then took a detour into the Hondo bird sanctuary area and enjoyed the blue lakes and peaceful reed beds, loads of birds and the mountains in the distance. Very relaxing and so easy to get to from the site.
    We will probably not come here again, so much more to see out there, but we have been pleasantly surprised at how much we have liked it. When we get home we will be heading to sleepy North Norfolk, then the first motorhome show of the year, to be shared with the Funsters, at Peterborough. Then we have our own meet in a quiet part of Suffolk where there is some great cycling and walking to be had round a quiet reservoir. We like to have contrasting experiences and motorhoming enables us to do that in comfort. Great isn't it! Jane, Bob and Izzy :Smile:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
    • Like Like x 11
  10. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

One man's meat is another man's poison !

11. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

As has been said, a mix does it for me. When we have "visitors" its easier to be on a site, when we are travelling, cl's or wilding it does us, when we go to a particular destination...its normally whatever is nearest:BigGrin:

12. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

everyone wants something different

I suspect people often do not want the same kind of thing. I prefer a site that does not have entertainment, but that is me... I prefer to make my own:Blush: But I can understand why some like it.

As I say everyone has there own idea of what makes a good holiday.

Bob

• Like Like x 3
  13. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

everyone is different and expects different things from a motorhome. Personally up until now I have only been on a site to attend a meet. fuel cost could well change that as wilding more than one night in one place is not always easy. I usually attend a couple of meets a year the rest of the time we tour alone. So do a lot of other people and each person wants something different so each to their own. If we all liked the same things everywhere would be crowded. So no I really don't think you will upset anyone

• Like Like x 2
  14. Jim

Jim Ringleader

We love wildcamping on our own, we do it a lot. But we also like meeting up with Funsters. Funsters meet in fields with no facilities and have fun. So given the opportunity to do the same in hot sun in winter on hardstanding and at a CRAZY low price better then any others have negotiated.. Then add free electric, free wifi, free use off a gym and Spa better specified than that in the city of Bath and all plonked in the middle of some gorgeous countryside all accessible by bike or toad, for me its a no brainer.

Would I come here in summer! Not a chance it would be hell, but right now its very good indeed.

I'll happily swop my secret UK Wilcamping spots in winter for a few weeks of this. Good job were all different, as it wouldn't be the same if 14,000 Funsters were here:Laughing:

• Like Like x 5
  15. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

some meats bad for you, eat fish (but not puffa fish) its the other mans poison:Rofl1::Rofl1:

16. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

I have to laugh at people that use the turm "wild camping" in a motor home that's worth 20 grand or more that is fitted with every modern appliance possible:Doh:
    As for marjal,its great and we are all having a fantastic holiday,have not heard any moans about the site,only read about how bad the site is by the sado's that ain't here:Doh:

• Like Like x 5
  17. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Being a "Fulltmer"........

I have to be somewhere...My choice is Spain in the Winter for the pleasant weather and back to the UK for all the hum drum "office" work etc !:Cool:

When I saw the videos and comments, I was horrified, but the thought of the meet drew me on !!:cry:

After exploring the countryside, bars and shops etc.. I have formulated a decision !!!:thumb:

JUST BOOKED IN FOR DECEMBER AND JANUARY !!!!!:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

As the Wi-Fi here is a little "Iffy" at the moment........May I take this opportunity to wish all Funsters a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year ! XXX....:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  18. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

This thread is EXACTLY why to have a motorhome..!!
    YOU can make the choice.. For us its what we want for now, summer sun, good company and change of scenery.. Yes I've had a drink or two...

In a weeks time we will be going through France and staying at pretty small village aires.

In 2 weeks time I will be parked in a field with my grandkids running about in the fresh air, days after that should be on a beach in North Wales.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Bushtrekker

Interesting views and all valid.

Like someone else who posted, I find the term 'Wild camping' a bit strange when applied to a motorhome, although I realise what it means in this context. My definition of camping doesn't involve the use of a site, or even a tent necessarily, but the trendies have now hijacked what I regard as normal and rebranded it wild camping.

This is where I know I'm going to run into problems with my wife over choice of vehicle, because my ideal is always going to be something which will let me go anywhere and camp anywhere, living off the land as much as possible. My wife insists on things like toilets and showers, although I can't see the problem with shovels and waterfalls.:Wink:

I think realistically to get the best out of owning another motorhome I'm going to have to get used to hotter weather and head south for winter, although my wife insists on stopping this side of the Straits of Gibralltar. You might see me down there next year, especially if I can use my bus pass from the camp site:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 3
  20. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

I just wish we had the time to go away for months on end. Anywhere :Sad:
    Everyone looks to be having a brilliant time.
    But , our time will come .......

in another 20 years :Rofl1::Eeek:

• Like Like x 3