I hate flying!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Spidey, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Spidey

Spidey Funster

We are waiting in Fort Lauderdale airport with a delay till 23:45! We booked this holiday last year before getting the Motorhome and now really appreciate the ease of travelling in your own home. We had a lovely holiday but the next few years will be flight free :). We hadn't flown for nearly 5 years preferring our caravan and cruises. Next year Europe and i can't wait!

Rant over, but at least there is free wifi here :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

What was it like getting into the States? I have heard of very long delays at immigration.

3. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

It depends very much on the airport and time of day. I go to Houston a few times every year and last time actually got through well before the bags arrived on the carousel. This is rare - normally about 20 minutes or more. At Newark a couple of years ago it took about 3 hours. US border protection does not have a sense of humour either. They take themselves very seriously, but despite the stories are generally ok.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Why do you need a plane?? It's like having a car, and travelling by charabanc....Being a DUCK and all.......:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Because it is hard work doing all that flapping and it is pretty hard to relax and also can't hold the champagne glass when self flying.......(y)

• Like Like x 3
  6. Tootles

Tootles Funster

You flap a lot on here David..........:rofl::rofl:

7. Spidey

Spidey Funster

Not too bad getting in, landed at 8:15 pm and at hotel by 11pm. Long lines everywhere.

We eventually took off about 1am and landed at 1:45 London time. Spent 6 hours at the gate area before boarding, but the poor incoming passengers had to wait 3 hours on the plane before being allowed off!

Had a fantastic holiday. Walked around fort wilderness camp ground at Disney, much to my 2 DD's disgust. Wow some of the RV setups are amazing, didn't see a van close to our little 6 metre size!

How sad go all the way to Florida and get excited walking around looking at RVs. Also my main souvenir was a correll dish set for £18! 4 place setting :)

8. Spidey

Spidey Funster

That's it nothing is worth this much travel, no trains between reading and Swindon so now on a bus! So far I have been traveling for 27 hours and still not home.

On the plane my OH doesn't eat meat so they give him a veggie lactose meal it was boiled rice and peas and carrots ! They said they would replace it with a cheese sandwich but it was full of raisins and tasted off!

Really miss just stopping whenever we liked and eating decent food, I don't find traveling in the MH a chore but part of the holiday.

• Like Like x 2
  9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

You want to start thinking things through before posting Dave.

Would you want to take the risk of David flapping above you at a height? :LOL:

You might get wet
    if he spilled his champagne

• Like Like x 2
  10. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

A small sacrifice to pay for a great holiday with the peace of mind your flight should be trouble free. I would rather be delayed than go on a dodgy flight.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Spidey

Spidey Funster

Agree, but it was the airports fault not the airline. Still prefer going away in the MH from a traveling point of view.

Anyway home now and starting to think about our next holiday :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Well, we are due another PLANE STOPPING ICELANDIC VOLCANO!!! Next few days, my seismologist informs me.
    Look how we move on! Seventy years ago, aircraft were allowed, no, encouraged, to fly through anti-aircraft shrapnel! Now, a bit of ash grounds them! That's progress!. (y)(y)

13. wanderer

wanderer Funster

We also hate flying but as our kids now live in Oz its very difficult but not impossible . Last year we went overland from London to Singapore by truck and shipped the last leg . next year we are planning train to Singapore , maybe a cruise after this

• Like Like x 1
  14. Spidey

Spidey Funster

Wo w that would be an interesting trip. How long does it all take?

15. wanderer

wanderer Funster

The truck trip took 6 months and 26 countries . We estimate the train to Singapore at 6 weeks if you google seat 61 you get a rough idea

• Like Like x 1
  16. Spidey

Spidey Funster

Had a look at this site, very interesting. Just have to wait until we are free of kids and jobs :)

17. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

We like the look of this one too. I was ready to book it yesterday! Just got to figure out how to persuade Grandma to come and look after thug and dog for a couple of months and we're off :)

18. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

You've been there too long......the British have long queue's...
    Americans have long lines ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. wanderer

wanderer Funster

Have a look at "odyssey overland" on google , the trip Istanbul to Singapore is excellant it has been slightly modified since we did it as we started in London

20. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I didn't set foot in a plane until I was 40, and wasn't very impressed on the few occasions when I have flown. On one trip we had to abort the landing in the last few seconds at Gatwick and go around because someone else hadn't cleared the runway in time. On another occasion we had a nightmare time trying to get a plane back from Florida after Hurricane Charley had crossed Orlando. Needless to say the internal flights lounge had generators, working phones and toilets, and available food, while overseas flight passengers were sat on the floor in darkness with no bogs and only Red Cross burger vans. The only high point was when they said there's be no in-flight catering. Guess what the in-flight movie was after we'd all been struck by a bloody Hurricane? 'The Day After Tomorrow'. Mercifully that was the only part of the flight when I slept.

I'd rather take three days to drive to Italy than 3 hours to fly there.

• Like Like x 1