Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a Newbie to motorhomes but have caravaned for years
Just got a 2008 Autocruise Gleneagle yesterday and have just connected to the mains. The fridge works and the power management panel shows mains charge going to both leisure and vehicle battery. I have yet to delve in detail into the handbook for the power management system but seem to remember charging all the batteries on the vehicle was an emergency mode and not to be used often. Can anyone help on this subject please?
ALSO a fan like noise is coming from around where the vehicle battery is located under the passenger floor. Got the plastic cover off but there are some bolts holding a metal plate over where the battery is so gave up in the heat today.
I am assuming there is a cooling fan for the battery under there which goes off when I turn off the mains connection.
Any help on this one please?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
cant help with the charging question but i cant see the battery being fan cooled.
many batteries are in a sealed compartment and arent cooled.

possibly the previous owner fitted an inverter, if so it needs finding and switching off as they draw battery power even when not in use.

another possibility is a supplementary fan in the outside fridge vent.....noise can play tricks and appear to come from where it isnt, if you follow my meaning.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
also some but not all onboard chargers have fans built in to protect the charger from overheating.

as for charging batteries, it is typical to leave the charger on to maintain battery condition and charge whilst plugged in. if you leave the van standing any length of time without charging, you will soon find the batteries flat and potentially damaged due to being too deeply discharged

OP
OP
barrywi

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a Newbie to motorhomes but have caravaned for years
Many thanks

I suspect the charger may be under the floor hence the fan noise..it is very hot weather! There are two leisure batteries not far away under the centre of the habitation floor so it would be logical to put the charger near there
It is not the fridge as it is way at the other end of the van. It sounded initially a bit like the radio when off tune...hiss/white noise.
The floor cover will come off tomorrow, lets hope the previous owner stored his dodgy cash under there.

Last edited:

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
I have an autocruise also, same year same fan noise ,it cools the charger I believe, nothing to worry about:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back