Hymer

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by chesterfield hooligan, Jul 12, 2012.

1. chesterfield hooligan

chesterfield hooligan Funster

Hi I am thinking of joining the Eurobox club what is the differance between E,B,S, Hymer type's I am looking at a S 510 on Ebay it is a long way from me. thank's for any reply's :Smile:

2. aba

aba

dunno really but it could be Economy , Business and Sports maybe its a German thing

• Like Like x 1
  3. aba

aba

4. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Over the years, there have been a number of variations on a theme. These are all A-class vans in UK parlance.

The B-class is the standard classification which has been in existence since the late 80s. All of the following relates to vehicles on Fiat chassis - some a full Fiat chassis, and some with a Fiat front bolted to an Alko rear. During the 90s there were B-class built on full Fiat chassis. These had single floors and around the mid-90s the twin headlight models appeared. From 1995 until around 2000, there was an E-class which was an upgraded version of the single-floored B-class on a full Fiat chassis (I think it was just an interior difference). From around 2000 until 2005 the B-class became the better model and B-Classic was introduced with a slightly lower spec. The B-class had an Alko twin-floor chassis bolted onto the Fiat front end whilst the B-Classic retained the single floor on a full Fiat base. From the 2006 model year when the twin headlight models were replaced by the new custom shaped headlights, the B-class was split into B-SL (double floor on Alko) and B-CL (single floor on Fiat).

Alongside this there were two ranges based on mercedes chassis. The S-class is the premium range (today they start at over £100,000) and the Star-Line which is the equivalent of the B-class. Hymer toyed briefly in the late 2000s with the name Best-class for Mercedes alongside the B-SL, but recently they have reverted to Star-Line.

So, in chronological order from the top and reading from left (lowest) to right (highest) spec, it goes like this:

B S
    B E
    B-Classic B / B-Star-line S
    B-CL B-SL / Best Line S
    B B-SL / B-Star-line S

Don't take this as infallible, but it's the best analysis I've managed to date.

• Like Like x 2