Hymer vs Burstner (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Our dealer (Becks) sells both, we prefer Hymer , the only one without a tiny dinette .

We've had both Burstner and Hymer. Both are good - but the Hymer is better - particularly with regard to comfort of the dinette. However, the relative quality of the Hymer is reflected in the price.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
You could have a look at a Laika .. From the same stable as Burstner and Hymer but with a bit of Italian flare ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Whilst all the ones that I know are very good, each have their particular strengths and the 'best' would be a combination of them. None are perfect and everyone's perception of value will vary.

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Having been the victim of a so called premium British Motorhome, am now thinking that a German van is the way forward.

Seems to me that Becks in Norfolk or Travelworld in Telford are the places to visit and do some research.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think it would be fair to say that they are all different, if you take the definition of "quality" as a product that matches the customers expectations then any and all vans are "quality" to somebody, anything else is simply subjective based on a particular criteria.

Martin

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Hymer Group owns several brands. There is significant overlap in 'quality' between the top of one range and the bottom of the next one up, but in approximate descending order I would suggest the following:

1 N+B
2 Hymer
3 Burstner / Laika
4 Dethleffs

All are pretty good. We have a 2003 Hymer Star-Line and I think the build quality is very good.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I bought my hymer second hand from camper UK in Lincoln.
Their after sales have been brilliant!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You can see the link in the logo-eriba-2x.png logo compared to logo-hymer-2x.png . I dont think they do a specific ERIBA motorhome model now as the web site just takes you to HYMER, when they made ERIBA motorhomes I think they were just rebadged HYMERS as opposed to something different.

Martin

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
You can see the link in the View attachment 137634 logo compared to View attachment 137635 . I dont think they do a specific ERIBA motorhome model now as the web site just takes you to HYMER, when they made ERIBA motorhomes I think they were just rebadged HYMERS as opposed to something different.

Martin
Yes, that's why, as subtle as I could, asked was it Eriba caravan as opposed to Ariba which I'd never heard of but I did realise Eriba is by Hymer.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Having been the victim of a so called premium British Motorhome, am now thinking that a German van is the way forward.

Seems to me that Becks in Norfolk or Travelworld in Telford are the places to visit and do some research.
I can recommend Becks. Very good service both before and after the sales. But they probably do not carry as much stock as Travelworld. But if Becks have the one you want in stock and it has hung about for a while they will give you a good deal (they did with us).

Wilderbeast

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Stockton on tees
Funster No
MH
"Hymer duomobil" B634 SL
Exp
Since 2011
We have also had both a Burstner Aviano i727 and at the moment a Hymer duomobil two different animals but both good in their own ways I think the Hymer is of better quality but of course as always this is reflected in price.
No experience with UK vans.
D

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hymer (can't remember which model) are now adopting the full Alloy/PU foam/Alloy body construction that has been standard on the N+B vans for a lot of years.

Martin

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
DETHLEFFS fall a long way down the line for quality and after sales GERMAN crap but then it only cost £90,000 emailed the GERMANS direct fobbed of by them ray xx lol still lol wish I had got a donkey and cart now :xsad::xsad::xsad:

Phil65

Free Member
Oct 13, 2012
Newark, Notts
Funster No
MH
Coach built, low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Bought my Burstner from Becks, happy with both

Reactions: f6c

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Hymer Group owns several brands. There is significant overlap in 'quality' between the top of one range and the bottom of the next one up, but in approximate descending order I would suggest the following:

1 N+B
2 Hymer
3 Burstner / Laika
4 Dethleffs

All are pretty good. We have a 2003 Hymer Star-Line and I think the build quality is very good.
Sunlight ........is another Hymer buget model.

I was the proud owner of a Swift Escape.......it done what it said on the tin. I have recently bought a continental van that cost 33% more. Idon't notice 33% comfort or quality.
In my view its horses for courses, buy the best van you can afford and enjoy.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
My furst motorhome in 2014 was a Chausson and I loved it. We now have a Hymer and I do notice the difference. I would say that we have had very few niggles. I think it is well made, but you pay more.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Says it all really (y)
DSC_0003.JPG

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hymer (can't remember which model) are now adopting the full Alloy/PU foam/Alloy body construction that has been standard on the N+B vans for a lot of years.

Martin

Martin and I both have N+B. One of my reasons is the body construction which contais no timber - it is its own strength and even if there is any water penetration the foam is basically non-absorbant and there is nothing to rot.

I agree with Jean-Luc that in the Hymer Grup stable that N+B are the top of the range. I was originally looking at Hymer, which are good quality, until when visiting a dealer askng for a garage-version Hymer 644, which they did not have in stock, they showed me a N+B equivalent - I was impressed and immediately switched to looking for what we have now - N+B Arto 69GL.

I think quality shines through at the 10 year mark; ours is coming up to 14 years and I have had it for 6.5 years and in that time the only things I have had to replace, other than self-breakages, have been an oil pressure transmitter(Fiat), some plastic bits in the fridge (Dometic), plastic external door retainers (UV deterioration) and one tap micro switch. I reckon that is not bad in 6.5 years and a now 14 year MH.

Probably the new prices of N+B are more than Hymer, but at the 5-6 year point I doubt there will be much difference, if any.

While praising N+B I should warn that if you are limited on licences to 3.5t as they are solidly built you may struggle on payload, especially if wildcamping and wanting to carry full water etc. We are OK with our 3850kg, with full water and fuel tanks and just two persons.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back