Hymer Lights

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Brian Hewitt, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Brian Hewitt

Brian Hewitt Funster

Hello All, I am a brand new member and already I am looking for help. I have a 2005 Hymer B584 (smiley) and have just had an MOT failure because of the headlight beam directions. It has passed for the last 8 years but now the same garage has a new Tester and he will not pass it. The van is a LHD import. CAN ANYONE HELP ; do you have any solutions as to how to fix the problem please. From Brian.

2. countryman

countryman Funster

Perhaps if you put some black tape on the lense just of center,it will deflect the beam,i am surprised the garage did not recomend this.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Have you got a hymer handbook. I think there are instructions in there for beam adjustment. There have been threads on here before but can't remember how to do it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

If it's got the round hella lights they are adjustable for LH or RH, some are not easy to get at though so beam benders might be easier.

To adjust you need to remove a screw and slacken a couple of others and then turn the unit.

Martin

5. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

The dipped units are adjustable for left and right hand driving. There are three self-tapping screws around the rim of the rear of the lamp housing. Slacken these then the housing should rotate a few degrees in the direction marked 'L' or 'R' on the rim. Be warned that the screws are a devil to access.

• Like Like x 1
  6. funflair

As above but one screw needs to come right out, see the spare hole at the top of the attached photo.

image.png

Sorry couldn't find a back view.

Martin

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Thanks for the info Funflair - perhaps that's why I have never been able to get mine to rotate; although I have not had much success in accessing the screw towards the bottom of the housing. I think it is obscured by the electric levelling adjuster.

8. funflair

I wouldn't like to do them blind, our units come out once you take off the external surrounds which are held by two wing nuts inside, then its pretty easy, you do have to wind the other two screws a good way back as the light unit needs to lift off its seal to turn position.

Martin

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Manic

Manic Funster

I leave the two hard to get too screws loose so only need to loosen the top screwand turn lamp holder and do one screw tight

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Portland

Portland Funster

I adjusted mine but I removed the bumper so I could reach the screws from below its not so hard as it sounds but you take out the lock and loosen the others to rotate

11. mustaphapint

mustaphapint Funster

I didn't realize there should be screws involved. Mine turn freely by hand. I've no idea how I could get a screwdriver in there and position it on a screw.

12. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

The are only adjustable between left hand kick up for LHD or flat dipping which is aceptable to both VCA and for MOT. Sorry Philip just being pedantec.
    Earlier models with the classic Hella units have the screws, the later Almond Eyes have the later Hella unit that just needs a lever moving.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Brian Hewitt

Brian Hewitt Funster

Hey you guys, what a response. Hopefully I will be able to get something sorted with all this advice. Many many thanks. Brian.

14. Brian Hewitt

Brian Hewitt Funster

Hi Countryman, I am told that following a MOT ruling, you can no longer use deflectors during an MOT test. This is what my garage USED to do prior to this new(ish) ruling. Hey Ho. Brian.

15. countryman

countryman Funster

Hi Brian,had MOT a few weeks ago,headlamp deflectors were fitted and passed,so perhaps it is very a very recent ruling,Thanks for the tip.

16. Brian Hewitt

Brian Hewitt Funster

Hi Countryman, This ruling by MOTransport came in around4/5 years ago. I think you were very lucky to have your van passed and wished I was In your neck of the woods to use your garage. BH

17. Brian Hewitt

Brian Hewitt Funster

Hi again, is your van a left hooker?. That is where my problem lies because the lights are set for driving on the right.. Just a thought. BH

18. countryman

countryman Funster

Hi Brian ,no my Hymer is a right hand drive,B754.Happy travels.

19. Manic

Manic Funster

I've just had my Hymer MOT'ed and when I went to collect it the tester told me the lights kicked up at the side the wrong way, so he had put some tape on and passed it, he also said I could take tape off when I go and get the vano_O

• Like Like x 1
  20. Brian Hewitt

Brian Hewitt Funster

Hello All, Good news, My local garage, well, nearby, has done my lights for me. First time for them but they found it not too bad. Thank you so much for all the very helpful replies, much appreciated. Brian H.

• Like Like x 4