Hymer going nowhere! (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
As a lot of you already know I had a heart attack three weeks ago, not looking for sympathy I shouldn't of had that last packet of crips and bottle of wine.
Now I have put my Hymer up for sale as I am pretty sure they will revoke my C1 entitlement. Especially as I have had a an ICD fitted this week, so no driving for at least six months.
Plans have obviously changed and as my wife is retiring in June we are looking for places to stay this summer.
Now this is where the Funsters come in, do you own any holiday accommodation / caravan etc that you would be let out for a few days or a week/ weekend.
Just looking for ideas really.
I don't want charity, happy to pay for accommodation.
Thanks in anticipation.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I don't, but I hope other Funsters do, and that you will get many offers for places to stay.
Keep well, look after yourself.(y)
LES

OP
OP
KUSKUS
Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
Yes that's an option but as I may never be able to drive it again I ruled it out, will have to sell it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I assume your wife doesn't like driving it, why not get her a few hours of training at a local HGV training centre to give her the confidence.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Get well soon !

Broken Link Removed, Kent

Broken Link Removed, Kent

Broken Link RemovedCornwall

Broken Link Removed, Cornwall

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Six months is but a heartbeat in time, (Sorry, couldn't resist, I too have arrhythmia)

How far away is the dreaded C1 application? I know it sounds counter intuative
but with that piece of kit fitted you don't won't have arrhythmia and therefore
your previous malady shouldn't happen again.
Plus, your Doc's should/could say to those non qualified quacks at Swansea that
you have no more chance of keeling over at the wheel than the next bloke.

I appreciate that this has come at the wrong time being Spring an' all but give yourself
a chance. You never know.

OP
OP
KUSKUS
Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
I would ask the wife to drive but as its left hand drive it just adds another complication to the mix.
She is very capable and used to drive mini buses regularly at the school she works at

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
So pleased you are on the mend!

Minxy has a holiday let, I think.
Yup, a couple of holiday lodges here (nos 11 and 12), unfortunately all bookings have to be done via the site so I can't offer 'mates rates'.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would ask the wife to drive but as its left hand drive it just adds another complication to the mix.
She is very capable and used to drive mini buses regularly at the school she works at
Is she wanting to sell it too then? Perhaps she hasn't even considered driving it so perhaps a trip to a local car park (when the shops are close ... not always easy nowadays!) for her to have a 'play' might make her happier to drive it.

May 22, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Since 2016
Hi
I had a ICD fitted nearly 10 years ago, because they discovered I had a heart condition called Brugarda. No heart attack involved. I was not allowed to drive for 6 weeks. Not 6 months.
You have to notify DVLA, but I was allowed to keep my current C1 licence till I was 70. At 70 you have to apply for a licence renewal, the ICD will be a problem to retain the C1 status. If you are not 70 yet, you may be able to drive "C1" till you are 70, then down size to 3500 kg.
I have a Hymer Exsis I 678, plated at 3500 kg, payload is very tight but just doable. The Hymer Exsis I 588 will have a much better pay load.
I would check with your consultant again, on your driving status.

OP
OP
KUSKUS
Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
If you have a heart attack and then a ICD fitted it's an automatic six month ban.
I will be 70 in August 2024 , I am not sure if I will get my C1 entitlement back after the six months but hopeful.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Have a word with Ian at the showground to see if would be OK to get somebody to take it down there and let you wife drive it round and round for a bit, you could even stay as we will be there over Easter (OK that might be a reason not to stay ;)) I would hate to be reading in 6 months time "oh bugger I got my licence back but my lovely van has gone"

OP
OP
KUSKUS
Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
If it wasn't left hand drive it wouldn't be a problem I am sure she would be happy to drive it. But at eight metres and 5.3 tonnes I think it's too much to ask of her.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My sympathy KUSKUS . Having had a heart attack last Friday I too am starting to wonder what the future may hold for for me and my motorhome. I am luckier in that my Carthago is RHD and my wife should be able to manage it short term. However the situation does raise a number of unwelcome questions. Now that I am back home recovering with a stent I have sent the VOCH1 form straight off to the DVLA. I have decided to leave the stressful decisions until later when the DVLA have eventually responded.

Anyway holiday lodges sound nice so I hope you find an escape that suits you for now. Perhaps Motorhomefun should have some convalescent lodges where wounded campaigners can recuperate whilst weighing up their options.😀

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
If it wasn't left hand drive it wouldn't be a problem I am sure she would be happy to drive it. But at eight metres and 5.3 tonnes I think it's too much to ask of her.
I'm back in 2 weeks. I live in Shrewsbury, Ive had a lhd a class for the past 12 years, currently drive an 8.6t lhd N&B Im happy enough to drive you somewhere with a train station and come and fetch h you back afterwards if you want to.

I agree with Emmit . you've had a shock and maybe you should give yourself some time to see how it pans out.

best of luck with the treatment
Jon

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As it has an Auto box I wouldn't have thought LHD would be much of a problem, manual I would agree.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks Jon, what a kind thing to offer, see there are some nice people in this world.
I was thinking of Jon when I said "get somebody to take it down to the showground for your wife to have a bit of practice" but I thought it at bit presumptive to name him ;) that's a good option you have now anyway.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Best wishes to all of you with ticker issues (and other issues of course)

Only advice I can offer is not to make any decisions until you have to .... of course consider them and work out your options but try not to push the decision making timeframe unnecessarily...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back