Hymer Garage Floor.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jumar, Jul 2, 2015.

1. jumar

jumar Funster

Hi, I need to secure (Screwing) a fiamma garage slide out cycle rack to the garage floor.
    Need to buy the correct type of screws to do this job, so what do I look for, how big a screw, is the floor sandwich construction, dont want rack tearing out due to using wrongly used screws. Any tips please.

2. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

I assume that they are going to be bolted right through?
    Can you measure from the door opening to inside floor & then underneath from base of side to underside of floor in the same place & then subtract one from the other to give thickness? As to whether it is a sandwich construction maybe someone else will know ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

• Like Like x 2
  4. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Personally I would cut a piece of waterproof ply to fit inside garage floor and fix to that. Probably use nuts bolts washers and countersink them underneath...dabs of silicon to fix floor.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  5. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

You might find a vent/drain in the garage floor so that you can see how thick the floor is, my guess would be that it is ply but possibly with a fibreglass skin underneath. Once you know the thickness and what it is some big screws should be OK I cant really see the need to bolt right through.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  6. s20hymer

s20hymer Funster

hya our hymer boot floor is 40mm thick with alloy checker plate on floor i do not think its solid.... if you drill through..make sure you know where its coming out..not into wires etc also you will need to underseal .. personally i think judgmental has best idea...but that is your choice..good luck

• Like Like x 1
  7. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

I always work with MHs with the thought in mind that you get one chance to do it right. Given light construction and often little for conventional fasteners to grab if it doesn't hold first time and stay there the second attempt involves damage repair as well as better fixings. I'd either bolt through using stainless fasteners or as Judgemental suggested use a secondary floor covering (which I would simply glue in place using Sikaflex.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jumar

jumar Funster

Thanks everyone who replied, time to think it through as always.

9. namwaldog

namwaldog Funster

I had never heard of this bit of kit so thanks for drawing my attention to it. I have had a look at images on the net and, along the lines of Judgemental's thoughts, it crossed my mind that if you fixed the base onto as big a piece of ply or aluminum checkerplate as you could get in the garage in one sheet creating in effect a second floor, would the bulk of this counterbalance the sliding rack with the bikes on, especially with everything else loaded where you want it onto the new floor?
    You would have to bear in mind the extra weight involved but it may eliminate any need for fixing

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  10. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

I doubt if it would fully counterbalance the entire weight of the rack + bike(s) but it would go some way towards it. Done neatly and with the correct material a permanent fixing would reinforce the floor & become part of the van.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jonegood

jonegood Funster

Ours is an N&B so same stable probably similar contruction.

I fixed the rack for the previous scooter through the floor with some 6mm bolts and some penny washers. That didnt move.

12. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I would simply bolt through the floor, adding a large sheet of plywood is over engineering and adding a lot of weight .. .. a sheet of 18 mm ply weighs 18kg ..frankly, I can't see any benefit.

The garage floor in mine is composite with plywood on both sides.. previous owner had bolted an L shaped frame to the floor, that looks like it was to anchor a mobility scooter..

• Like Like x 1
  13. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Not sure why you think you would need 18mm ply! its not self supporting as will be silicon dabbed to floor...

Thats what I would do with a new van. When you come to sell, floor like new, with no warranty issues. Lots of rain and muck gets thrown up under the rear of a motorhome.

Its an easy option..,alloy plate another

• Like Like x 1
  14. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Thin play to protect the floor.. fair enough.. but I've never felt that necessary as I've never bought a brand new van.

For mounting a bike rack.. and you would need to fit the rack to the ply before laying.. thin ply with recessed bolt heads ? Likely they would pull through.. and once laid, no way to tighten up.

just my view on how I would do it.. .. so.. whatever the OP feels is best. ..up to them..
    I don't consider either of these options ( thin ply or ally plate) practical .. or particularly easy ..

Bolting direct though the floor, I would either use stainless bolts and washers or paint over with underseal or Hamerite ..

• Like Like x 2