Hydratrail Trailer or Extension to the Motorhome?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Brakers, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Brakers

Brakers Funster Life Member

Hi There Pip Squeaks
    I would like to carry a reasonably large motorbike round with me, I’ve seen these Hydratrails which would allow me to carry quite a few bikes of around 240kg.

The problem is I will want to go to Europe sometime in the future and I have been told that this Hydratrail would be classed as a trailer if the wheels are touching the ground, is that correct? If so it would practically double the cost of the crossing.
    Has anybody been on the Eurotunnel or the Ferries with one of these trailing behind? If so what did you say when you booked your ticket and they asked if you had a bike rack or trailer etc? Did you have any problems?
    Anyone know if you can use the Hydratrail without the wheels similar to the Easy lifter to carry a smaller bike sau up to 130kg and do away with the wheels?
    I can then take a 125cc with me to Europe no wheels touching the deck and have a heavier bike in the UK using the wheels.
    Best Wishes Tony

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Using the hydrotrail without wheels is a no no......unless you want to dig furrows in the tarmac.
    The front mountings are a simple up and down joint, towball and cup, allowing the trailer to follow undulations in the road.
    Almost all the weight is carried on the castor wheels.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Hydra trail definitely will not work without the wheels.

We used to take a 160kg Vespa on it and had no problems but a friend who carried a 180kg Honda had his developed a crack.

There has been threads on here advising don't put a heavy bike on them and I would agree.

Regarding a ferry booking we just used to measure the whole unit length with the hydra trail on and pay for that. Never had any problems, the ferry company only ever queried it once.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

It wouldn't gain you much anyway as far as the tunnel is concerned. The best you could hope for would be getting away with calling it a bike rack which you still have to declare when you book and pay extra for.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Brakers

Brakers Funster Life Member

Hi Mike Thanks for the info, but don't ferries when booking ask you the question do you have a bike rack or trailer, how did you answer that or did you say not to the trailer or bike rack?
    Best Wishes Tony

6. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Just said no to both questions. Always just quoted total length of unit

Santander port/Brittany ferries queried it and said they wanted to charge for the trailer.

Just said no problem but wanted a refund for the extra length I had paid for.

She measured the unit and then said it was OK as booked and let us board.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Neckender

Neckender Funster

I tow a 5x4 camping trailer and I just book the van as 6.3 metres and small trailer attached, DFDS charge me about £15 extra.

John.

• Useful Useful x 1