huwii mifi and 3 data sim

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by chaser, May 19, 2016.

1. chaser

chaser Funster

Been in France 17 days, put a £9.99 data sim in the thingy 3 gb , just run out, great job always got a signal even when 3 phones didn't, anywhere we have been, both me and Julie connected to it and its done everything we needed, coming home tomorrow so just managed with it.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. JohnH

JohnH Funster

Bought a data3gb sim to bring away to Spain. Using it at La Cabrera with the wife on her iPad reading the Daily Fail and I am perusing this site. Love it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

Using a 12GB one in France at the moment - and have to thank @minksygirl for signposting its availability at a knockdown price! I bought 2 of them, and so far haven't been disappointed with good reception everywhere (so far!)

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Speve

Speve Funster

Thanks everyone for the feedback I also took @Minxy Girl advice and bought a huawei and 3 sim not used either yet waiting till we return to Spain.
    Sounds like a good choice thanks again minxy

• Like Like x 1
  5. Busman

Busman Funster

Currently using a NOS €10 10day sim in Portugal also have the 3 sim bought off eBay to use when we get to Spain/France, great bit of kit

6. Teuchter

Teuchter Funster

I also have a Huawei with a 3 sim - used it for 2 months touring Spain - overall pretty good!

However be advised that when you buy x gig ( be it pay as you go or contract) then that allowance is only valid for one month and does not "carry over" if not used!!

I did not realize that so when I came home in April I switched from contract to PAYG and bought 7 gig for use as and when required (intending to use it in France in June) only to discover that on the one month anniversary of purchase the whole unused 7 gig and my £25 vanished!! :(

7. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

The only place we couldn't get it to work was outside LeClerc @Roscoff and at the LeArbor Aire,(also Roscoff).
    We thought it had spat out the dummy but it came good after moving on later that day.
    Now using the free Wifi at Sable Blancs @Concarneau.

8. Camdoon

Camdoon Funster Life Member

9. chaser

chaser Funster

10. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We just used our 3 phones with unlimited data in France but struggled in a lot of places to get a connection even though 3G was displayed. I like the fact that the Huawei unit picked up a signal when the phone didn't, might have to dust off our mifi unit and look for a good sim deal
    Coming back today eh? I've ordered sunshine for your drive through Kent....

• Like Like x 1
  11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

You lot are very niggardly with data! We've got through over 3.5 Gb in 10 days. Mind, I did find my phone was backing up photos to a nearby Cumulus Nimbus, for which it has received a slap and I did upload a short video to Youtube. Must try to be more careful in future!

However, I've not had a problem connecting anywhere though it is slow - but usable.

12. chaser

chaser Funster

Cheers, thanks for the sun, but yes that's why I thought it worth a mention, phones are ok but won't tether even if they get a signal, but this mifi worked where they didn't for some reason and most of the time connected to a different server, must say I am well impressed.

13. chaser

chaser Funster

Yes I found once you had connected to it with something, they were connecting automatically whenever you kicked it up, don't suppose they were useing much data but its worth keeping an eye on.

14. Hughman

Hughman Funster

Thinking about getting a Huawei unit myself. We're on Vodafone and just pay the £3 a day roaming charge at the moment. Trouble is there are areas where signal is very bad (where we go in Slovakia is a particular bugbear) and anything that might boost it would be great.

So, what Huawei units do people use, and crucially, how do you recharge the batteries? Not good if you need mains all the time, so can they be done via e.g. USB phone cable?

15. Sabino

Sabino Funster

I have the Huawei E5573 and it has a USB cable for charging. So either 12v or mains depending on where we are.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Hughman

Hughman Funster

Thanks - useful to know. How about signal boosting? Is it any good for that, and do you use an antenna?

17. Sabino

Sabino Funster

I trail it out onto the roof if I need to. It does seem to improve the signal.
    I bought a 4G antenne antenna, but have yet to evaluate properly, or need to!

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We use our phones for 3G and have a wifi booster, ( from Motorhomewifi) that we use occasionally. It's amazing how many Fon signals it pulls in if parked in a town. We have a Huawei E5776s that we bought last year but have not used since 3 included France in their Feel at Home tariffs.
    Just found a 12gb 12 month data sim on Amazon for £25! I might even buy one!

19. MikeD

MikeD Funster

We bought a pay as you go sim for connection to the web in Spain when wifi was not available.

Worked for a couple of days and now shows "DPD authentication failure" and now cannot activate the mobile data network.

We are total numpties with new technology so looks like another visit to a phone shop. :(

20. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

It is possible you bought a phone sim and not a data sim, which is what you need for a MiFi. You might find they have sent you SMS warnings which if you are using a MiFi you will need to read off the device. The Huawei app makes doing this very easy.