HPI Checks - I wasted my money & a warning to others!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by StitchUp, Sep 16, 2014.

1. StitchUp

StitchUp Read Only Funster

Regrettably we're selling our motorhome due to business commitments. I listed the motorhome on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Burstner-Argos-2-748-Motorhome-Tag-Axle-October-2005-/121435604296?

You can read my horror story at the bottom of the ad under the heading - IMPORTANT INFORMATION.

John

Advert information added to this post before it disappears from eBay

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2014
  2. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

A very devious previous owner? Not a pleasant story at all. Best of luck with selling - it is still a cracking good van

3. DonA4000

DonA4000 Funster

Thanks for letting us know.

I read your update and how could they register it on the 8th when you bought it on the 1st? Is it a fraudulent act?

Best of luck with your sale :)

4. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

i would be questioning hpi as part of the fee you pay for their services is to have access to their insurance

5. The Dude

The Dude Funster

Shocking story. Hope you manage to sell it - it looks like a really good van.

6. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Bloody hell!

Well done for being so up front about your discovery.

Good luck with the sale.

7. chaser

chaser Funster

thought it should be in the logbook

8. webby1

webby1 Funster

Well thanks for that info and your honesty.....................sad for you but as you say could be a real bargain for someone.

We drove a Cat D car for some years...........................an accident stove in the drivers door and was not economical for the insurance company to repair. I had to stay insured with them for ease but replaced the door from a scrappy and pocketed the difference

• Like Like x 2
  9. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

What a b*******. I 'd question the legality of their registering the damage after they'd sold the vehicle.
    The HPI insurance is a good idea if you're up to pursuing it.

10. StitchUp

Thanks for the replies.

It is a beautiful van and for the little use we had in it, always with 'the Funsters', we really loved it but, the business needs an injection of cash to do up the shop we purchased so sadly it has to go.

When I received the information from Fuller Leisure who by the way have been more than helpful, I started researching Cat 'D' write-offs http://www.rac.co.uk/community/blog/rac-blog/july-2013/what-is-a-category-d-car-insurance-write-off and the DVLA on how insurance companies should notify asap. I do question the delay to the 8th March 2012 before informing the relevant agencies when the loss date was 16th January 2012!

I have written to DVLA and HPI and await their replies.

Apparently a dealer has to disclose the fact that a vehicle has been a cat D write-off but private sellers don't have too - I just had to tell the story as I wouldn't sleep at night.

No indication at all on the V5C(W) registration document. I also discovered the vehicle had been re-registered from a personalised plate to it's present number on 3rd June 2011.

In short, the seller was/is a scumbag and I already have a judgement against him for not including parts that should have been. I'll investigate ALL ways of pursuing him.

I still believe someone will get a cracking deal especially now I've discounted the price having taken advise from Fuller Leisure.

As always, thanks for the support and understanding - I feel gutted just now :(

In short, do remember, HPI checks can be worthless - certainly was in my case as it gave me the confidence and reassurance I needed to make the purchase.

John

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

A CAT D is 'cosmetic only'
    It could well have been as simple as someone stole the wheels ( for instance, or a can of paint went pop and the whole van had to be re-upholstered..
    With a MH those scenarios are unlikely to cause a write off but it will give you some idea..
    One of my Smart cars was a cat d.. The wheels and seats had been stolen.. A Mini Cooper I had was a cat d.. A lorry loaded with tar chippings dropped a shed load and covered the front of the can.. Absolutely no REAL damage at all..

I am not belittling your awful situation in any way and really feel for you.. what I am saying is that it might be worth trying to find out exactly WHY it is a cat d.. If it was something of no consequence at least you can sell with a little more confidence and a clear mind (y)

• Like Like x 3
  12. StitchUp

I'm ringing my insurers Aviva now - they do underwrite a lot of motorhome policies and might be able to give me some assistance. Then an email to the Association of British Insurers for advice.

Problem is, it's all so time consuming and I've already accepted I have to discount the asking price by £3,000 from what Fuller Leisure offered.

13. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

Admirable honesty ....

Such a great looking van too and well kitted out ....to be honest it was cheap at 22k

I sold mine a 2003 52 plate 747 (pic below ) for 32000 in march 2011....and it didn't have the extras yours has

I'd have snapped this up myself as I'd like another burstner but i doubt I'd sell mine in time ......i don't imagine you'll have it long at that price.

14. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

To my mind it is a great buy for anyone looking for a large van. If I was in the market I would be champing at the bit.
    Good luck with your sale.(y)

15. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Oh John & Ang what an awful thing to happen. Good luck in pursuing the previous owner and I hope it sells quickly so you can move forward with your new venture. When you have the time, buy another van and be sure to join us again(y)

16. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

John - once you have sold it( so you know your loss) think about suing the guy who sold it to you.

He might not be worth suing but a claim of fraudulent or negligent misrepresentation can undermine any argument a private seller has to the standard defence of " Let The Buyer Beware".

Don't rule it out anyway

• Like Like x 1
  17. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

and dont let HPI off the hook either, I am sure they should cover exactly this risk

Best of luck

• Like Like x 1
  18. wingman

wingman Funster

John, we've never met. I just wanted to say that for people re-directed to mororhome fun via eBay.

Rarely have I seen such honesty and a creditable footnote to a sale. It does you proud as a person and a police officer.

The 'van is great and an absolute 'steal' for anyone interested. Solar panels, inverter and tons of extras that in themselves cost a fortune.

Good luck with the sale and the business venture. Feel for you
    Regards
    James

• Like Like x 2
  19. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

If you did the full monte HPI check you should be covered if the information was incorrect.

You can have the van inspected and if the repair was back to original spec, the Cat D can be removed but it takes time

Good luck and an excellent listing!

Peter

• Like Like x 2
  20. richr

richr Funster

All credit to you for being so honest, makes a change these days as you found out to your cost.

I would have no problem buying a cat D as said it would have been viewed as un economical to repair by the assessor for the insurance company.

It would not have been major work to repair other wise it would have been a higher cat listing.

Its a shame your MH isnt what im looking for as i would of been happy to buy it.

Good luck with the sale and as said before chase down the HPI people