How to remove 5500 miles worth of dead flies? (1 Viewer)

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
This also work well
IMG_3998.jpeg

Nov 9, 2022
Whitestone, Hereford, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus 650 MEG
Exp
No need to buy any expensive (or cheap) products.
1. Place wet towels over affected area
2. Leave for 30 mins,ensuring towels remain wet
3. Take a pair of your wife’s/girlfriends/own if you're kinky,tights or stockings. ( no need to wash them first)
4. Rub affected area with said stockings to remove flies,bugs,moths,dead birds etc.
5.Place stockings back in the drawer so ‘er indoors doesn’t create a big fuss.
6. Polish van better so that next time it’s easier to clean.😂🤣

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 4, 2023
Funster No
MH
Just looking
I just leave them on now, I look at them as holiday souvenirs.
This is the most effective I have found in over 40 years.... It's not cheap but it is UNBELIEVABLY EFFECTIVE...... Mostly with much (if any elbow). Use it before washing, wait a few minutes and BANG THE BANDITS ARE GONE! One bottle easily lasts months of use and thousands of miles of collected bugs.
I have no connection or interest in the company or product..... Just want to spread the word!

Screenshot_20230621-114823.png

May 4, 2023
Funster No
MH
Just looking
This is the most effective I have found in over 40 years.... It's not cheap but it is UNBELIEVABLY EFFECTIVE...... Mostly with much (if any elbow). Use it before washing, wait a few minutes and BANG THE BANDITS ARE GONE! One bottle easily lasts months of use and thousands of miles of collected bugs.
I have no connection or interest in the company or product..... Just want to spread the word!

View attachment 772113
I meant WITHOUT much...Oops.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks all some great ideas.
Will try the wet towels first before moving on to the chemicals.
Bern
Yep,do that and you won’t need to waste any money on products. And using an old pair of tights does work and leaves no scratches,honest :giggle:

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
The wet paper towels is by far the most effective and easiest. Our van was peppered coming down through France in May, and we got virtually all of them off. Used a lot of kitchen roll but no chemicals or scrubbing.
I have something similar from Lidl. It’s silver and looks like a scourer but is in-fact quite gentle.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Put tumble dryer sheet in a empty squirty bottle fill with cold water, leave for 30 mins to infuse squirt fly splats, leave for a couple of mins and then wipe off with a soft cloth, best thing I have found leaves paint work all shiny and does not affect wipers if used on windscreen.

Sep 19, 2018
Falmouth
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
3year
In the nicest possible way, I’m glad you’ve got that problem! Whereas in the past we used to get loads of bug splatters all over the front of our cars/vans now there are very few which can only be to the detriment of the planet, no bugs no pollination no food!
Far more bugs splattering in France than Devon/Cornwall. ☹️

Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay
As per the title, I collected an enormous amount of splattered insects on my travels. I have already washed the front twice and they are stubbornly refusing to come off.
Suggestions on the best product or method to remove them, please.
There may be a few tar spots as well that need to be removed.
TIA
Hi ya, find your nearest car paint supplier and ask them for Tar and glue remover, you may have to buy it 5ltr form but you will always use it and it won't damage your paint. But double check with your supplier. Hope this helps.

Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay
Hi ya, find your nearest car paint supplier and ask them for Tar and glue remover, you may have to buy it 5ltr form but you will always use it and it won't damage your paint. But double check with your supplier. Hope this helps.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Before departure spray the bonnet with a mist coat of vegetable or olive oil. Then they wipe off with a cloth

JohnJan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
England
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
"Tardis" tar and glue remover works well.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Wet towels draped over the affected panels. Leave them there for half an hour to soak the insects. Should come off much easier. Repeat if necessary.

I used to do this on my sports car after long drives but I used wet newspaper. Worked really well.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
The wet towel method works well for dried on Bird Lime also, I had to use on our car recently, all I can say is the mess that dive bombing bird left it must have been on a very strange diet.:swear:
Luckily I got it off before it burned into the clear coat of the roof & bonnet.
LES

Ivore

Free Member
Jul 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
just looking
Drive slower and give them chance to fly out of the way, it's kinder to the wildlife

Jun 22, 2019
Durham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Our motorhome was also covered due to a 2 week tour of the east coast of Scotland and did not fancy cleaning them of buy hand due to the hot weather. on Tuesday whilst it was raining heavy we took it out and drove it to Bishop Auckland to fill up (£1.32.9/lhr by the time we got home 99% of the dead bugs had gone and I was £97 poorer.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Quite simple, avoid hitting the bugs, they're a very important part of the food chain. I rarely have to clean the poor little mites bodies off our van. Saying that I get breathilised at last 4 times a day ;) :whistle2:

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
what do you think? the OP didn't mention the screen, neither did I and of course if windscreen washers are used, provided the bottle has the correct concentration of washer fluid they do tend to clean off for the most part.
I think the windscreen is the most problematic location for dead insects to be and I know it's the only place where I've used a dedicated dead bug remover, which incidentally I normally have in the driver's door pocket because it's so effective & useful but since I'm not immediately in range of the vehicle I can't go & check the make & model.

I also think it would be worth trying something that stopped them sticking in the first place and I also know my car's manufacturer advises against applying any rain repellant product to the screen so I'm cautious.

And finally I think you didn't intend your comment to sound so dismissive as it does so I'll not take offence but it was tempting.

'...for the most part...' doesn't quite satisfy me.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Our biggest problem is removing the dead bugs on our low profile is the crease between the top of the window and the roof. Can reach it with a long handled brush but can never get them out of the crease where the sealant is :rollingeyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back