How to remove 5500 miles worth of dead flies? (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
As per the title, I collected an enormous amount of splattered insects on my travels. I have already washed the front twice and they are stubbornly refusing to come off.
Suggestions on the best product or method to remove them, please.
There may be a few tar spots as well that need to be removed.
TIA

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I read the other day that those little steamers you can buy for clothes works.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Car shampoo breaks up dried on bug guts much better than regular detergent.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Many years ago I bought a 'special' sponge for cleaning flys off, it was little more than a sponge wrapped in netting a bit like curtain material, I still have it and it works well.
I have one of those on a stick

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
No need to buy any expensive (or cheap) products.
1. Place wet towels over affected area
2. Leave for 30 mins,ensuring towels remain wet
3. Take a pair of your wife’s/girlfriends/own if you're kinky,tights or stockings. ( no need to wash them first)
4. Rub affected area with said stockings to remove flies,bugs,moths,dead birds etc.
5.Place stockings back in the drawer so ‘er indoors doesn’t create a big fuss.
6. Polish van better so that next time it’s easier to clean.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Neat UNGER FR100 Window Cleaning, spray on and after less than a minute the bugs are soft enough to wipe off with a microfibre cloth.
It's good for cleaning windows too. :giggle:

Bought mine from Amazon @ £3 a litre.

Amazon product ASIN B000FJH69O
How many years have you had it 😊gone up a bit.
1687331550655.png

Nov 18, 2011
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2001
As per the title, I collected an enormous amount of splattered insects on my travels. I have already washed the front twice and they are stubbornly refusing to come off.
TIA
I know it's a chore but I got into the habit of removing them after every trip , but soon forgotten when abroad the hot weather seems to bake them into the paint finish, I've even used T cut also, probably more effective a very fine wet and dry paper preferably one that as had the the edge taken off it , followed by Tcut and polish all done with a very light touch. Not always a problem with this country cos of our climate with insects, more often than not they get removed with the rain, but that's changing cos look at the recent weather we've had for weeks on hand , autoglym do a motor home cleaner in a spray bottle , handy just to give the flies a blast with a handy rag other than that , slow down . Ron

Kelvin Barnett

Free Member
Jan 10, 2018
Funster No
TIA
I ride motorbikes as well, and they can get covered in dead flies, recently had the bike ceramic coated, so I bought some bug remover from the coating farm, find the on internet, got to be honest best bug remover I’ve bought, and I’ve bought a few. £14.99 plus postage.

Jun 12, 2020
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Galaxy G600G
Exp
Since 2015
Might seem obvious so apologies if it is. But whatever method or cleaner you choose to use it’s best done out of the summer sun so the cleaning agent doesn’t dry quickly which will allow the bug residues to soften before cleaning them off.

Chris CM

Free Member
Jan 28, 2019
S.E.Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL PVC
Exp
Since 2015
In the nicest possible way, I’m glad you’ve got that problem! Whereas in the past we used to get loads of bug splatters all over the front of our cars/vans now there are very few which can only be to the detriment of the planet, no bugs no pollination no food!

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
TIA
I know its after the event but I find if I keep the front well waxed or coaed with autoglym extra gloss protection they wipe off with a damp sponge.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
We had our van ceramic coated before we left. 2,000 miles later and they all washed off in seconds with a hose and a car was brush…

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back