How to import a vehicle into UK (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Just received this in the post
May be useful to others

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Duty and VAT not applicable within the EU . Should we leave without a trade agreement it will then apply . Importing from the rest of the world it does apply.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Duty and VAT not applicable within the EU . Should we leave without a trade agreement it will then apply . Importing from the rest of the world it does apply.
I understand that you have to pay vat when importing a vehicle into the UK from the EU

Last edited by a moderator:

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
if you import a new van, you pay UK VAT - but no duty....
if you have paid VAT in say germany, you still need to pay UK VAT and reclaim German VAT if i understand correctly - new vehicles are subject to different VAT arrangements than regular goods bought in the EU and imported.
It is reasonably straightforward tho - you use the NOVA process
https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/telling-hmrc
https://www.gov.uk/nova-log-in

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
if you import a new van, you pay UK VAT - but no duty....
if you have paid VAT in say germany, you still need to pay UK VAT and reclaim German VAT if i understand correctly - new vehicles are subject to different VAT arrangements than regular goods bought in the EU and imported.
It is reasonably straightforward tho - you use the NOVA process
https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/telling-hmrc
https://www.gov.uk/nova-log-in

That's my understanding too
Pay UK VAT on importing and reclaim German VAT from dealer once you can prove UK VAT has been paid - simples !

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If you get one that's already registered (6 months) and a couple of thousand miles (6000 km) on the clock VAT is not payable in UK. Ex dem?

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
there are limits to 'new' vehicle definition iirc. <6months, reasonable delivery mileage <6000 miles iirc.
more than that and it isn't a "new" vehicle and there is a different import route. I don't know what the process is for that.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No VAT to pay if the vehicle is older than 6 months or has done more than 6000km, less than either you still pay VAT.

For the purpose of registering a new vehicle the reasonable delivery mileage is less than 200 miles.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
If buying from a dealer in the EU , get them to supply VAT free for export, then you pay HMRC the VAT in the UK. All cross border transactions are handled in this way. You may be asked to sign a form confirming that the goods have been exported from the supplying country.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
If buying from a dealer in the EU , get them to supply VAT free for export, then you pay HMRC the VAT in the UK. All cross border transactions are handled in this way. You may be asked to sign a form confirming that the goods have been exported from the supplying country.
One has to question how many times you have privately imported a new vehicle. The dealers WILL be required to account for the sales tax and if they do not have proof that it was exported and the sales tax paid in the other EU country then they will have to pay in theirs and be out of pocket. The process you define only applies from one VAT registered entity to another quoting the importers VAT number which under the new legislation will be a import export approved number not your bog standard UK VAT number.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
With the VAT it depends on the individual dealer, our Belguim dealer supplies us VAT free, the new van will be the 3rd one we have bought from him & we were introduced to him by a friend who had bought vans from him, a track record helps.

Others who have imported from Germany have given the dealer a separate payment for the VAT and he has returned the payment once he has had proof of payment of UK VAT.

The legal position is unless the invoice is to a VAT registered company you have to pay the VAT in the supplying country and once the UK VAT is paid you then claim back the VAT from the supplying countries equivalent of HMRC.

If the dealer doesn't want to play ball and does it the legal way there is nothing you can do about it. I have seen varing reports of taking between a week & over a month to get your money back.

Last edited:

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I was supplied VAT free (on our new van) from my German dealer as well. It was supplied with German export plates and German registration documents.
I imported it to UK next day after driving it 400 miles to Calais. I used the NOVA process, and Paid UK VAT, got a UK VAT receipt, registered the van with DVLA.

Once I got the V5C, I scanned a copy of this and the UK VAT receipt to my German dealer to allow them to complete the paperwork at their end.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back