how to have lighst on with engine running

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Nigel&Debbie, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie Read Only Funster

Vehicle = Autotrail 2012 Dakota with Sargent EC 500 PSU

I have read that it is possible to fit a switch to above so that the lights in the habitation area can be on when the engine is running. How and where is this done?

No intention to drive away with lights on etc, just that I need to run engine from time to time to use B2B charger due to Mrs D using hairdryer and tongs:Smile:

Any help would be appreciated.

2. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  3. Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie Read Only Funster

All done with a little help form others on the forum who can't be named:Smile:

For info, here is how it is done:

1. Remove black plastic panel from bottom of drivers door pillar (point at which cab meets habitation area). There are 2 x large posi screws and 2 x small posi screws (may need to loosen grey pillar strip to get this panel off)

2. There are 2 x multi block connectors together with some red relays facing you. On the top block, the very top wire is a brown/white one (thinner than the other four wires entering this block).

3. Simply fit an on /off switch to this wire. Can be crimped connections but I used solder. The switch is mounted on the grey pillar strip referred to above). I found access easier by unscrewing the EM44 interface which is mounted in the floor at same location.

Took 10 minutes in total.

Now that's all I need to do is flick switch whenever I need to use engine/B2B charger etc, thus allowing Mrs D the use of her hair dryer / tongs with the lights on:BigGrin:

No more holding the torch - heaven at last