how to have lighst on with engine running (1 Viewer)

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Vehicle = Autotrail 2012 Dakota with Sargent EC 500 PSU

I have read that it is possible to fit a switch to above so that the lights in the habitation area can be on when the engine is running. How and where is this done?

No intention to drive away with lights on etc, just that I need to run engine from time to time to use B2B charger due to Mrs D using hairdryer and tongs:Smile:

Any help would be appreciated.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
you need to fit a switch to over ride the relay that cuts the power to the hab area you may find it in the electrical section of hand book if you have a wiring diagram as it could be fitted any where you may need an auto electrician if your not competent with electrics
Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
All done with a little help form others on the forum who can't be named:Smile:

For info, here is how it is done:

1. Remove black plastic panel from bottom of drivers door pillar (point at which cab meets habitation area). There are 2 x large posi screws and 2 x small posi screws (may need to loosen grey pillar strip to get this panel off)

2. There are 2 x multi block connectors together with some red relays facing you. On the top block, the very top wire is a brown/white one (thinner than the other four wires entering this block).

3. Simply fit an on /off switch to this wire. Can be crimped connections but I used solder. The switch is mounted on the grey pillar strip referred to above). I found access easier by unscrewing the EM44 interface which is mounted in the floor at same location.

Took 10 minutes in total.

Now that's all I need to do is flick switch whenever I need to use engine/B2B charger etc, thus allowing Mrs D the use of her hair dryer / tongs with the lights on::bigsmile:

No more holding the torch - heaven at last

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back