how to get rid of ants. (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
When my Aunt was Matron at the European Hospital in Nairobi and the Soldier Ant invade her lodge, she had to sit the large table legs in large tins of water and load the table with all the fresh food until the Ants had disappeared. Sometimes it took hours if not days. Hope it's not that bad? 🙂

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I tried a hosepipe and cleaned the area of ants but they are back this afternoon.
Raid, casa e interiores, supposed to be for mozzies, but ants hate it snd won't cross a line. The trouble is not so much the ants, but the rotten food they live off.

Over here the have "mole-crickets". Soapy water works on these little charmers (we have 5.5 acres, yet they always destroy our 1 acre lawn)

1689283206334.png

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We were invaded by travellers recently at work.

My job was to say the magic words on camera "You are not welcome and are required to move" as part of the eviction process.

Police joined me and noted the white powder around everything on the floor and asked what it was to the travellers who were suitably impressed when I answered for them.

If travellers use it on every occasion........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Raid, casa e interiores, supposed to be for mozzies, but ants hate it snd won't cross a line. The trouble is not so much the ants, but the rotten food they live off.

Over here the have "mole-crickets". Soapy water works on these little charmers (we have 5.5 acres, yet they always destroy our 1 acre lawn)

View attachment 782023
Raid now do one especially against Ants, I saw it on the Supermarket shelves last week!

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Just found this post, but it will help !!

First of all you won't beat them, if you kill one nest another will take over.

You have to live with them .. but you can persuade them not to come into your house.

They are searching for food, so set up alternative feed boxes away from your building

Take - away trays with lid on, and access holes drilled around the bottom edges. They prefer dark so black over the lid. They find fruit and sweet things very attractive, keep it clean and with fresh food.

Now the clever bit ..next you see ants in and around your house, quickly brush them all into a hand brush-pan and then empty into your feeding box and shut the lid (the more the merrier).

The ants may scatter and panick but once they taste the bait they will feed. They will not realise they have been relocated but will after a feed, they will find their way back to their nest, leaving a scent trail. "Hey girls I've found fresh strawberries .. just follow my trail, other ants in the nest will follow the trail to the feeding box.

Incidentally all ants are sisters, except when they change diet for larvae /eggs to develop wings, be male and swarm.

The older female ants are used for the searching because they are more smelly and leave a stronger trail.

You can move the boxes further away, bit by bit. It may take a while to see which foods they eat best, if it's not getting eaten .. they'll be back inside your house!!

I remember at a mh show there were tons of ants in the grass, neighbours had them swarming inside their motorhomes.

We set up a few cardboard boxes laced with jam and even marmalade, 6 or 7feet from the vans .. and then scooped as many of the little blighters up into the feeding boxes.

It worked, even though the ants came from different nests they all revisited the free food instead of the vans.

Us campers went away thinking " Well that's one over them pesky varmits, that's why were top dogs on this planet"

Ants thought "Oh well, we've trained them to bring the food to us.. perhaps next time we'll learn them get our feeding boxes out on the first day"

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
I'm sure i read once that you should never squash ants ( or wasps which are related to ants) as if you do they release a pheromone that indicates distress and more will come to assist.....

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
I have been reading the past post on "ants".

🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜Has anybody got an update on the best way to get rid of ants?🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜
I don't see anyone mentioning electronic repellers.
(Like this one but there are plenty of others https://www.homesteadcaravans.co.uk...rodent-insect-repeller-with-uk-3-pin-plug.htm )
I tried to find at 12v version, unfortunately so far without success, but the power consumption must be tiny for anyone with an inverter.

They're a bit controversial in terms of effectiveness but we got one to deal with house invasion & were amazed to see them rushing to the exits so kept the device running & no problems since, despite there being loads in the garden.

Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
We have up at home, nothing would get rid, luckily they only came in for a few days then buggered off as they couldn't find any food.
IMG_20240318_195017.jpg

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
I have been reading the past post on "ants".

🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜Has anybody got an update on the best way to get rid of ants?🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜
Why such an issue requiring discussion??
Ants have been around for as long as humans, there are multiple products readily available & home remedies
for getting rid of them.
I presume you have a specific issue that these have not resolved, what is it?
Otherwise go to any diy store and buy one of the many ant killing product they stock, sorted.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Why such an issue requiring discussion??
Ants have been around for as long as humans, there are multiple products readily available & home remedies
for getting rid of them.
I presume you have a specific issue that these have not resolved, what is it?
Otherwise go to any diy store and buy one of the many ant killing product they stock, sorted.
The garden is theirs the kitchen is mine I think we ( the ants and me) have an agreement on that

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
As posted before, you won't beat them by destroying/ killing nests ..other ants will take over.
Give them a constant source of food away from your house.
Just found this post, but it will help !!

First of all you won't beat them, if you kill one nest another will take over.

You have to live with them .. but you can persuade them not to come into your house.

They are searching for food, so set up alternative feed boxes away from your building

Take - away trays with lid on, and access holes drilled around the bottom edges. They prefer dark so black over the lid. They find fruit and sweet things very attractive, keep it clean and with fresh food.

Now the clever bit ..next you see ants in and around your house, quickly brush them all into a hand brush-pan and then empty into your feeding box and shut the lid (the more the merrier).

The ants may scatter and panick but once they taste the bait they will feed. They will not realise they have been relocated but will after a feed, they will find their way back to their nest, leaving a scent trail. "Hey girls I've found fresh strawberries .. just follow my trail, other ants in the nest will follow the trail to the feeding box.

Incidentally all ants are sisters, except when they change diet for larvae /eggs to develop wings, be male and swarm.

The older female ants are used for the searching because they are more smelly and leave a stronger trail.

You can move the boxes further away, bit by bit. It may take a while to see which foods they eat best, if it's not getting eaten .. they'll be back inside your house!!

I remember at a mh show there were tons of ants in the grass, neighbours had them swarming inside their motorhomes.

We set up a few cardboard boxes laced with jam and even marmalade, 6 or 7feet from the vans .. and then scooped as many of the little blighters up into the feeding boxes.

It worked, even though the ants came from different nests they all revisited the free food instead of the vans.

Us campers went away thinking " Well that's one over them pesky varmits, that's why were top dogs on this planet"

Ants thought "Oh well, we've trained them to bring the food to us.. perhaps next time we'll learn them get our feeding boxes out on the first day"

Aug 8, 2019
Chichester
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2019
We've been inundated with them since January. The powder has worked but only for a few days and it looks awful around the kitchen and dining areas.
A couple of weeks ago I cleared up all the ant powder and put out a couple of ant feeding stations and so far, touch wood, I havn't seen an ant .
Long may it last

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I use nippon ant stations, they are welcome in the garden. fingers crossed we have agreed on boundaries.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We've been inundated with them since January. The powder has worked but only for a few days and it looks awful around the kitchen and dining areas.
A couple of weeks ago I cleared up all the ant powder and put out a couple of ant feeding stations and so far, touch wood, I havn't seen an ant .
Long may it last
Soap with borax they hate it ☠️

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back