How To Clean Your Windscreen?

Discussion in 'Top Tips & Tricks' started by rosalan, Jul 7, 2015.

1. rosalan

rosalan Funster

I have seen several versions including this same formula, which I am a little nervous to try. Basically scrub your windscreen with the finest steel wool. Then use a product called Rain-X (several times), apparently Halfords sell it. Finally polish the screen with first a damp cloth (T-shirt) then a dry cloth (T-shirt).
    I had not come across this before but it seems this is one way to clean an RV in America.
    Has anyone tried this that I could trust?
    Alan

2. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Not used wire wool but have used rain x , it's weird after you have used it and drive when it's raining the rain just goes straight off of the screen.

3. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

Used it on my visor in my motorbiking days and it worked brilliantly. The secret is to have the screen/visor absolutely clean to start off with and use as little Rain-X as possible as it seems to smear otherwise. Never been brave enough to try it on a windscreen though!

• Like Like x 1
  4. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

Ok until there is a heavy infestation of insects, which you have to scrub off with insect remover, then you have to re-apply. Tried it at work, even though at that time it wasn't recommended on the windscreen itself (can't remember why). Useful on other windows as insects were not an issue, but you would need a reason to keep other windows clear. Can't remember if you could use it on plastic. Seem to remember it wasn't worth the hassle, but others may have had better experiences.

5. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Sits in the garage and used it in the past with great success but often too lazy to bother when I clean the vehicles now.

6. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

I use auto glym glass polish first to clean the screen then use the rain x. If you use it on side windows , the water seems to collect and form funny shapes and dance about the glass but that is only on the side windows.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Been using RAIN-X for 5 years both car and MH on windscreen and ALL windows without problem. Not seen wire wool used before hand to clean screen, be worried about that one............

• Like Like x 2
  8. rosalan

rosalan Funster

After a bit of a think. I tried the wire wool on my mirrors and side windows, lubricating the task with a spray of somebody's cheap glass cleaner. After all, what could go wrong? As it happened, nothing went wrong and my mirrors came up better than usual and could have been even better if I had not used a polishing cloth that had remnants of Simoniz polish on it leaving an interesting bloom to enjoy.
    I must think before I do. I must think before I do. I must think before I do. I must think before I do.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I can't see wire wool damaging glass.
    It's not the most abrasive substance known to man after all.

If you use it on copper pipe it brings the copper very clean and shiny with no scratches.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. FJmike

FJmike Funster

Not sure about the wire wool myself but if you want a windscreen sealer (thats what RainX is) there are far better longer lasting ones on the market and for about the same price. My favourite is Aquapel

• Like Like x 3
  11. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

Always use rainX clean the screen then put the rainX on surprising then when you drive say on the motorway and its light rain the rin just beads off the screen no need for wipers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

@cruiser has a good device for cleaning windscreens, especially that awkward to get at bit under the Luton......:whistle2:

13. JJ

JJ Funster

Cripesy Cripes...

I am well out of date!

I clean my screen and windows with water, a drop of Fairy Liquid, a squeegy, a wipe dry blade and a chamois leather.

Just like I used to do when I helped my mate out on his window cleaning round all those years ago.

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 8
  14. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

rainx is good but a bit dear, but saying that only need to use it 3 times a year

15. Stagman

Stagman Funster

Put some RailX in the washer bottle as well then it gets replenished every time you squirt (sometimes the words just don't come out right)

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I suspect the wire wool will slowly disintegrate as you use it and lots of very fine wire will collect along the bottom of the windscreen - where it will go rusty. I guess you could rinse it away with a powerful jet of water but it is something to be wary of.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

surely a nylon pan scourer and some lubricant would be safer than wire wool. the steel is hard enough to scratch the glass, only microscopically maybe but still damaging to the surface

hard to beat vinegar for cleaning glass and removing all traces of bugs and polish. it used to be common for people to use vinegar and old newspaper. it still works very well

• Like Like x 5
  18. Stagman

Stagman Funster

Apparently full-fat Coke is a good cleaner of glass (and chrome on classic cars)

19. TheBig1

yes the citric acid content, but the sugar content leaves a residue

20. TheBig1

yes the citric acid content, but the sugar content leaves a residue

21. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Funster

Detailing clay works wonders on glass, I guess rainx is the glass equivalent of car wax, causes the water to bead and reduces friction so airflow pushes it off the glass better.