How strong is the roof (1 Viewer)

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
I am wanting to clean and wax the top of our motorhome, the only way I can see to do it (especially the waxing) is by getting on top. As quite a lot of motorhomes have ladders fixed to the back, I imagine that will be OK. The question is how careful do I need to be (apart from as careful as possible)?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It might depend what the van is, keep away from the sides as that is where you fall off and keep away from sky lights as they weaken the roof structure.

Martin

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I usually get a good strong piece of board to walk on to spread the load and stop you slipping

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I climb on mine regularly feels fine ,but i always take care.Just gave mine a clean and polish no problem ,but then again it is a Rapido lol:)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
It's an Auto-Trail, I'll be careful near the sides but useful to be made aware to also avoid getting close to the skylights, thanks. What about the overcab area?

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I use a short ladder on mine with padded top ends. I find that I can lean over half way across the roof, so no need to climb on top.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
beware of the joint between the flat roof and the overcab and give it a wide berth. just treading next to it is likely to cause a leak. and never ever try to walk on the overcab bubble, very easy to damage and expensive to repair

those vans with ladders, only the rack area is slightly reinforced, not the whole roof and the 75kg limit is optimistic. the strongest part is actually over the top of the side walls, where there is greatest risk of falling

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just as a caveat (plus I obviously don't wish to embarrass @johnp10 but don't understand what "Graham, Shuttit!" means) may I point to .

I used to stand on the garage roof to reach, but that stopped when I went through. (It wasn't an accident, it was stupidity.)
Broken ankles and toes isn't good.
Instead of a month's trip to Italy I had a month in a wheelchair.

In anticipation of a reply.......
Graham, Shuttit!
:whistle:;)

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I think I would stay off it, just for the sake of polishing it, no ones going to see it.

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It's an Auto-Trail, I'll be careful near the sides but useful to be made aware to also avoid getting close to the skylights, thanks. What about the overcab area?
Autotrail has a quite thick GRP skin and they often have roof racks and ladders so designed for a bit of stick. Other precautions as previously relayed (y)

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I agree with what others have said.

I try to clean and polish as much of my roof from the sides, using a tall step ladder but one has to be careful that reaching over doesn't cause the ladder to 'kick' the opposite way :eek:

I have a large Hekki rooflight, so I put a smaller set of steps inside the van and attack bits from there too.

For the over-cab, you may have to cobble together a brush (or the like) with rag or padded end to polish that bit. Large first-aid dressings make brilliant polishing material!

I've seen folk do all sorts; even cleaning the top of the van from their bedroom windows!!

I wish someone would come up with a sort of gantry thingamybob that you could climb on and wheel along as you go. I'd buy one!

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Our last van was an AutoTrail Delaware and had a ladder fitted.
I frequently went on the roof to clean it and used it as a photo platform on several occasions.
The over cab section was very flimsy and you wouldn't want to put any weight on it.
Be careful with polishing as it will make the roof extremely treacherous to stand on. I put polish on one very small area and nearly took a dive over the side.

Richard.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I agree with what others have said.

I try to clean and polish as much of my roof from the sides, using a tall step ladder but one has to be careful that reaching over doesn't cause the ladder to 'kick' the opposite way :eek:

I have a large Hekki rooflight, so I put a smaller set of steps inside the van and attack bits from there too.

For the over-cab, you may have to cobble together a brush (or the like) with rag or padded end to polish that bit. Large first-aid dressings make brilliant polishing material!

I've seen folk do all sorts; even cleaning the top of the van from their bedroom windows!!

I wish someone would come up with a sort of gantry thingamybob that you could climb on and wheel along as you go. I'd buy one!
yes agree with all you say and the thingamabob you speak of is a cherry picker so as you say you would buy one can I borrow it after you've used it please? :D

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
yes agree with all you say and the thingamabob you speak of is a cherry picker so as you say you would buy one can I borrow it after you've used it please? :D

Certainly Paul, but you'd have to drive it up to notloB! (Unless, that is, you'd want ME to clean your roof for you :D)

What I meant was something like a car wash gantry without the brushes, or miniature version on what goes over a railway line (if you see what I mean?)

Upvote 0

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Surely it also depends on your weight after all 150 kilos is twice 75

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
You definitely don't stand on the overcab. It's a completely different construction and will flex if you even lean on it, leading to possible cracks. I know, I've done it. It's a sickening sound when it does crack, so beware!!!

Luckily it was superficial and no leaks, so now I do as much as possible from a ladder and extended mop and am happy that it's clean and white. Also use the extended mop when I'm on the rood to clean the parts of the overcab I can't reach from the ground.

I don't even use products like turtle wax you add to the water, as it'll run down the roof and straight onto the windscreen and I don't want silicon or wax on it :)

Walk on the roof as often as needed, but no more. Beware as it gets VERY slippery, so please take care and good luck :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 9
Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Whilst we still had the Autoquest I bought a set of "Big Red Foot" Multi Purpose Ladders on eBay having seen a recommendation from Freelander UK (former Funster). Apart from general use round the house they could be set up over the bonnet, as a platform, to make cleaning of the Luton much easier (I used to put on old towel on the bonnet to guard against accidental scratches). The Burstner doesn't have a Luton but I still sometimes use them in platform mode to clean the upper halves of the front, back and sides of the van.

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Whilst we still had the Autoquest I bought a set of "Big Red Foot" Multi Purpose Ladders on eBay having seen a recommendation from Freelander UK (former Funster). Apart from general use round the house they could be set up over the bonnet, as a platform, to make cleaning of the Luton much easier (I used to put on old towel on the bonnet to guard against accidental scratches). The Burstner doesn't have a Luton but I still sometimes use them in platform mode to clean the upper halves of the front, back and sides of the van.
We have a set of those, brilliant aren't they, and ideal for washing and polishing the sides of the van.

Reactions: GJH
Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
You definitely don't stand on the overcab. It's a completely different construction and will flex if you even lean on it, leading to possible cracks. I know, I've done it. It's a sickening sound when it does crack, so beware!!!

Luckily it was superficial and no leaks, so now I do as much as possible from a ladder and extended mop and am happy that it's clean and white. Also use the extended mop when I'm on the rood to clean the parts of the overcab I can't reach from the ground.

I don't even use products like turtle wax you add to the water, as it'll run down the roof and straight onto the windscreen and I don't want silicon or wax on it :)

Walk on the roof as often as needed, but no more. Beware as it gets VERY slippery, so please take care and good luck :)

@PP Bear another with the right idea

Upvote 0

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I use a short ladder on mine with padded top ends. I find that I can lean over half way across the roof, so no need to climb on top.

I do the same, saves worrying about where you're walking

Upvote 0

RitaG

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
I got up on the roof of our Autotrail a couple of weekends ago and agree that it is very slippery up there once you start to apply polish. Didn't want to stand up just incase I took a tumble so the roof is going to have to take its chances and only get the occasional polish.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Thanks for the replies. I can only get to to one side using a ladder, probably my best option will be to do one side then turn the van round to do the other side. Although it is a new vehicle, the sides seem a lot better for having a wax polish so I'm sure the top will also benefit from it.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back