How much income per year

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ips, Feb 25, 2010.

1. ips

ips Read Only Funster

I am sure this has been done before but I cant be bothered looking (at least I am honest)

Hypothetically if one was to retire (chance would be a fine thing)
    and spend next 10years or so bumming around UK and occasional trips to europe in modest MH what would be the realistic minimum income required for a reasonably comfortable existence for 2 peoples.

I know there are lots of things to take into account and no I am not thinking of doing it (only because my personal pension that was sold to me in 1985 when I started my 1st business wouldnt keep me in scotch for a week) just interested in the lucky people who can.

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

From my three years FT experience, £12 - £14k ..

that's minimum ,

no fancy sites, using cheap or free Aires and Cls , no lavish meals or behaving like a tourist..
    keeping costs to a minimum and doing about 5k miles per year.

as you say, we are all different but I think that's a good kick off point

3. ips

ips Read Only Funster

Thank you thats about what I expected acctually, just need to get my hands on 150k and I am set for next 10yrs :BigGrin:

4. scotjimland

Indeed..

Trying to finance an FT lifestyle by doing 'seasonal' work such as site wardens isn't easy ..

Say you work for 6 months , you need to save at least £1k per month to see you through the next 6 months travel ..

Even with two working, that isn't easy when earning minimum wages , at best it tops up the nest egg.. but like a dripping tap .. it eats up your reserves very quickly .. :Sad:

Full timing isn't a cheap way of living, despite what others say

5. ips

ips Read Only Funster

Yes I never imagined it being as easy as some would think. I think some peeps see it through rose tinted specs. Cant see it being any fun either if you cant afford any of lifes luxurys but as you say were all different and some may not need a stash of cigars and scotch as I do :Wink:

6. scotjimland

Perhaps the ones I threw away ? . :Laughing:

I was one who wore them.. back around 1995 when we dreamed of full timing and planned to retire early and " Just Do It " there were no forums to get guidance from, we knew no one who actually did it .. by the time we set off there were a couple, but very little good advice.. too much, "just do it", "what are you waiting for" , "life isn't a rehearsal" " do your dream" .. none of that is good advice..

Would I do again ?

Definitely NOT .. not as a true full timer with no home base, long term yes.. but will never give up my home and roots again, it's taken over a year to get back on an even keel and get back to some sort of normality ..

sorry if I've gone off topic, but I think it's important to say as you find, not some romantic notion .. and not as you say.. through rose tinted specs

7. carl65

carl65 Funster

thanks glasses just gone in the bin :Rofl1:

:Doh:

8. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Another option would be to have a wintering site, or similar as a base. A local chap does this, and travels between UK and Monaco (outskirts!!)

He has a plot of land in the UK. Which he has permission to pitch his RV. It looks very nice, and is all landscaped. This has benefits, such as no council tax!

He then disappears to Monaco, where he stays on a rented pitch, which costs him around £80 a season. I beleive it belongs to a friend who takes that to cover his power - so don't expect to get the same! lol!

Just gives you an idea - he also pays no tax because he is out of the UK for 6 months of the year.

A similar winter pitch would be handy, as it not only gives you an address for paperwork to go to etc, but gives you somewhere to go if the funds start running low!

9. marrod23

marrod23 Funster

hi i agree with jim did it for almost 5 years what a lovely feeling to now have a base although its costly lived on about £200 a week but things have changed a lot in europe in the last 2 years Cheers Rod:Smile:

10. scotjimland

Sounds excellent .. he has a UK base and a cheap winter pitch .. :thumb:

I don't want to discourage anyone, only to remove the pink specs.. have a good financial plan and if possible a get out of jail card .. then if you get fed up or disillusioned you have a 'way back' ..

A UK address is absolutely essential , we had none , no relatives or friends we could impose on, so it was very difficult .. we did use c/o addresses but through time this gets very complex..

11. adenough

adenough Read Only Funster

I sold everything in 1988 and took off for spain with 4 kids, wife and volvo estate towing a 13' van. I was in negotiation to purchase an apartment on the Blanca. Worst mistake I have ever made. Job I was promised did not work out and apartment was dodgy but just lost small deposit. The Spanish at the time did everything possible to stop you living and working there. We learned how to live cheaply. Rented apartment in Spanish block and bought fresh food in bulk. We all spoke the language. I gave up in the end and reluctantly retreated back to the UK. Meanwhile property market here had soared. Had just enough to purchase a small terrace for cash in Lancashire [no job = no mortgage] and start all over again. Ended up working up to 80hours a week for a long time to, almost, get back to where, we were before we left. I learned a big lesson about burning boats.

Jim

12. MrJinks

MrJinks Read Only Funster

I totally agree with you Jim. BUT:Laughing: If you hadn't taken the plunge when you did would you have spent many years wondering what it might have been like.

Sometimes it is better to try something and find it is not for you than to spend the rest of your days thinking "what if ?":Eeek:

That said, I dreamed of fulltiming for a long time but would never have done it without the backup of a homebase in UK. Some would say coward and that would not be proper fulltiming....so be it , thats me.

My intention now after much soul searching between us and reading so much on here and other forums would be to somehow keep a property in UK and travel as much as we want but know that we can return if we want. Not everyone is lucky enough to afford to do it that way though.

As with many directions we take, there is no right way........only what suits you at the time.

I will take my Confucious head of now :Doh:

13. madbluemad

madbluemad

There are thousands of stories like this and its tragic.

Not particularley with mh's - rv's but with people thinking that the grass is greener elsewhere.

I read everywhere, people complaining about their life in the uk instead of getting off there a$$ and getting something done themselves.

Most of the whingers have never been anywhere or done anything notable in their lifes. Its always "this government" and at the mo its "Gordon Brown".

Anyhow, I hope things stay ok for you know.

Jim
    :Laughing:

14. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

I am really surprised every time i see this question. We are all different, all lead different lifestyles some drink and smoke others do neither. Only you know what you can live on. Only you can make a fair assessment of what you would need. Whilst others can tell you what it cost them only you can have a true idea.

15. scotjimland

I agree Garry

I have done many things in my life, emigrated S Arica where I worked down a gold mine as a sparky for six years, then moved back to Scotland, worked off shore on an oil rig for eight years, then moved to Essex before getting itchy feet and trying a Gypsy lifestyle.. and still found time for two wives and six kids. :Laughing:

Each and every occasion it was an adventure, it formed my character, made me (hopefully) wiser and gives me plenty of tales for the pub and the grand kids .. so yes, it is better to do, but it's a lot better to do when you are informed and know the pitfalls before jumping .. That was my main reason for starting the RVF forum.. to help and advise others who will follow ..

Every adventure, whether good or bad, is worth while, there is no greater teacher than life itself.

16. imprint

imprint Read Only Funster

"He then disappears to Monaco, where he stays on a rented pitch, which costs him around £80 a season."

Jim, are you sure you mean Monaco? Or do you mean Morocco?

£80 would hardly buy a decent lunch for two in Monte last time I was there...

17. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

It is on the outskirts, around 6 miles or so I think, the land belongs to a friend of his who lives there - the fee just covers his electric while he is there!

He certainly could not do it IN monaco! But he can see the town from where he is! Could you imagine the lawsuits if you parked an RV in Monaco?? lol!

18. violet

violet Read Only Funster

Where does he pay his taxes? In Monaco? Could be higher than in the UK.

Violet

19. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

I agree wholeheartedly Roger. Suck it and see, then you'll never die wondering! :BigGrin:

20. olley

olley Funster

Hi Monaco doesn't have "outskirts" :BigGrin: its built right up to the French border. He will pay French taxes if he doesn't pay UK ones.

Olley