How Much Do You Use Your Camper? (1 Viewer)

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
We have had our current van for 14 months, currently in France - home on Wednesday, clocked 9,000 miles since we've owned it and about 160 nights away :)

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
I just worked out and amazed how much I've used mine.

Had it just short of 5 years and the MOTs show I do 10,000 miles a year.

Now to nights usage.

Three 7 weeks trips to Lanzarote.

Four 3 weeks trips to Europe.

50 track days.

And about 20 days in Cornwall.

And 20 visits to pals

Probably 350 in years :)
Blimey. Well used van :)

You?

Just wondering, how do you get a van to the Canaries?

We were looking at apartments to buy there but since Brexit, changed our minds and we are going for a MH to tour.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

We were looking at apartments to buy there but since Brexit, changed our minds and we are going for a MH to tour.
On a ferry from Cádiz I believe. But difficult to get to the smaller islands, but you can certainly do Tenerife, Gran Canaria and Lanzerote. A friend spent nearly three months there at the beginning of this year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Every other weekend March to November for motocross. Usually 2 European week long trips..one skiing and one Holland or Belgium , again motocross. One or two nights when we get the chance. Very occasionally for work...if the car park hasn't got the flipping contractors in.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
On a ferry from Cádiz I believe. But difficult to get to the smaller islands, but you can certainly do Tenerife, Gran Canaria and Lanzerote. A friend spent nearly three months there at the beginning of this year.
Sorry to go off topic, but not sure why it would be difficult to go to the smaller islands? We've been to La Palma, and La Gomera; and hope to do El Hiero before too long. Not taken the van, but have taken hire cars on inter-island ferries from Los Cristianos, Tenerife. I'm sure you can get to the smaller islands from other place too.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Before I bought it my previous van did less then 2000 miles a year, it just stood on their drive. I did half as much again in the year not a lot but a load more than it got before.
The previous owners have now retired and bought a proper caravan and tow car, they should have done that to start with. They used to drive to France park on a site for two weeks then drive home again.. The new caravan will be parked up and they can use the car to drive around. Makes sense for them. My new van has 3800 in two and half months without trying. Went around Ireland Just to run it in.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Biggest problem if fitting some in between Hospital Visits!. But we try!. Best idea is Pick a Pub Site on a Bus Route, and go exploring with the "good beer guide"! and the Bus Pass.

Pete

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sorry to go off topic, but not sure why it would be difficult to go to the smaller islands? We've been to La Palma, and La Gomera; and hope to do El Hiero before too long. Not taken the van, but have taken hire cars on inter-island ferries from Los Cristianos, Tenerife. I'm sure you can get to the smaller islands from other place too.
I'm sure there are ferries though the ones we used to get to and from La Gomera only took passengers I think (but probably wrong) so I guess the vehicle ferries run less frequently. There are trucks and buses on the small islands so they must have got there somehow. :)

Jul 26, 2015
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Hoping to buy 2016
Exp
None whatsoever
Only got our first Motorhome in June and have been away almost every weekend since ( missed two due to other commitments).All have been within 90mins from home,going after work Fri.
Already planning for two European trips in 2017,we are both still working so one will be around ten days,the other 18days and hopefully lots more weekends!

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We do about 10 12 thousand miles a year
And this year so far about 24 weeks in van and 8000 miles
13 weeks down Spain and France rest in uk
I use van for work sometimes so I suppose over year I sleep in van far more than in our own bed at home
That's a lot more than most but no where near some on here

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots

It's about €1,000 return from Cadiz. Done it 4 times. About 34 hours. Very dog friendly.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Oh, the weather here is sunny and warm EVERY day. And evenings occasionally drop to 17 in winter

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
24/7... Done 11.5k in 17mths from new... To date.. :)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Celine is 17 months old and has 17k miles on the clock.
123 nights to date this year and it will be another 11 at the end of this trip. Hope to get another couple of short trips away before the end of the year.
Ain't retirement grand? :)

Richard.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
It's about €1,000 return from Cadiz. Done it 4 times. About 34 hours. Very dog friendly.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Oh, the weather here is sunny and warm EVERY day. And evenings occasionally drop to 17 in winter

Hi Yorick.
Is this price using a residencia or the full non residents price?

Back to the original thread :rolleyes:

We've not used our camper at all this year due to the fact we planned to leave our house (done)
move to the static in Wales (done)

Then head through the tunnel in October with absolutely no plan of direction or what we want to do other than head to Cadiz.

At some point catch the ferry to Lanzerote have a week or so then head over to Fuertventura until spring then head back home (slowly)

Are we mad ?

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Hi Yorick.
Is this price using a residencia or the full non residents price?

Back to the original thread :rolleyes:

We've not used our camper at all this year due to the fact we planned to leave our house (done)
move to the static in Wales (done)

Then head through the tunnel in October with absolutely no plan of direction or what we want to do other than head to Cadiz.

At some point catch the ferry to Lanzerote have a week or so then head over to Fuertventura until spring then head back home (slowly)

Are we mad ?
Hi, that's the full price.

There's lots of nice places to camp here. The rule is that you can camp wherever you want, unless there's a sign to say not. We've found some beautiful places

PS I just checked for ourselves and ferry over to Fuertaventura is €150 return. But it's not as nice over there.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Thanks Yorick.
Guessing it was the full price.

We haven't got residencia anyhow but wasn't certain if you had.
Thanks for the heads up re camping as we can probably have a look around for a week or two before heading over to Fuerteventura.

The prices seem better than I'd guessed so that's a plus (y)

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Thanks Yorick.
Guessing it was the full price.

We haven't got residencia anyhow but wasn't certain if you had.
Thanks for the heads up re camping as we can probably have a look around for a week or two before heading over to Fuerteventura.

The prices seem better than I'd guessed so that's a plus (y)
I'll let you know best placed to fill water and empty grey and brown water.

And can use our place for anything you need :)

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
That's very kind Yorick thank you (y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Wow! Is she everything you hoped for?

Yep, well worth waiting for. There are a couple of things we want to add, lights over the cab and an extra 12v and USB outlet but apart from that she is perfect.

Jun 22, 2014
Great Totham
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
our first year was last Saturday and we completed 7000 miles. I thought that was a fair bit but some of you guys must be retired ;)

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Every day at the moment beds more comfy than the one i had in a house. Been where i am for a week now , a bit boring might go and bimble soon.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Dave Newell, who does our servicing, says he'd rather work on a van that's been well used, so we try to keep him happy!:LOL:

Seriously, since we've both "properly" retired we're doing around 10000 miles per year.... oops, must go, need to go fetch it out of storage again to go to Lincoln......................

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
2.5 to 3 months in Portugal most winters, 2 month tour round France in may/June, 7 week tour to Italy and Slovenia at the moment. Most years it totals about 5 months.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
10000 per year over the last seven years. You paid a lot of money for the van USE IT.

colyboy

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Use virtually full time for three months in each year.

In the other nine months we use as much as possible for three to seven day breaks.

In 18 months our latest m/h has covered 14,000 miles, mainly on mainland Europe.

Life is too short to leave it parked on the drive!(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back