House insurance for more than 30 days away

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Dorwyn, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

For years we've been with the AA for house insurance since they seem quite reasonably priced, but they're not happy with us being away for more than 30 days, which limits our trips away. Presumably there are companies out there that are more amenable, as many go away for longer. Any advice?

2. countryman

countryman Funster

Hi, The caravan and camping club will do it for 180 days,

• Like Like x 2
  3. maison

maison Funster

We took out this insurance, this year, for first time with Caravan and Camping Club.

Cost about £10 more than the 90 day cover.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  4. wingman

wingman Funster

During a routine renewal, my home insurance company also asked about whether I ever stayed away from home for 30+ days.
    What they are saying is that they won't cancel your cover completely - just certain elements of it. For example, they said if you were away long-term in winter and a frozen pipe burst, you wouldn't be there to limit the damage, which would be significantly higher if left without intervention.

5. Ali n Tim

Ali n Tim Funster

Is that for home insurance?

6. makems

makems Funster Life Member

+1 for camping and caravanning club. We insure buildings and contents with them as they are one of the few that will offer cover up,to 180 days. Quite competitive too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We are with Home Protect and could choose how long we wanted, we plumped for 45 days which suits our needs but I don't think even 60 days was a lot more.

8. Charlie

Charlie Funster

How about if a family member pops in occasionally ?

9. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

None anywhere near, unfortunately. Not that they moved away from us, we moved away from them. Nothing personal. AA did say today that a neighbour coming in would be OK, but I asked for a quote for 60 days, it was much dearer. They said they would get back to me with a lower quote, but didn't. I haven't tried C&CC yet, didn't know they did house insurance.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Manic

Manic Funster

How about having a house sitter, as long as you have room for a motorhome to park in your drive, just to have a presence at you property.

11. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

That takes some organising, but it's an idea. But a good cheap quote would work too!

12. greygit

greygit Read Only Funster

We are with the C and C club and as we are not members, they only give us 90 days away, if we were members it would be 180 but 90 is fine for us.

• Like Like x 1
  13. StanandShirley

StanandShirley Funster

Just changed to the C&C Club cover and price good.

• Like Like x 1
  14. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster Life Member

We get 60 days as standard with LV. As Joe retires early next year I've been getting quotes over the last few days to compare and there aren't many who do more than 60 days.

I tried CCC and they've quoted for 180 days (as a CCC member) but there's only one company on their panel which will cover us for that period because we live near the sea! There is also a condition that someone has to inspect the property every 7 days. If we were to go away for the full 6 months I don't think I could ask anyone to traipse round every week for that amount of time! If LV would cover us for a longer period, even if someone had to visit/stay once a month or so then our daughter would be happy to do that but I wouldn't expect her or want her to have to visit every week.

Will try a few more companies and see if I can get a sensible quote without such restrictions.

Denise

15. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

It's that business of someone inspecting the property that is an issue for us too. To me, someone actually entering the property brings further security problems, ie they may forget to properly lock up, or bring someone else with them, or snoop around (you can understand the desire to do that), etc. And it's that that my wife is unhappy with.
    If it is merely a trusted neighbour keeping watch, but holding a key should there be any problems, that's OK with us. But the insurance company said no, in fact they said it should be a relative.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

OK, I've gone with C&CC, 180 days of cover while away, just what I wanted (well, more than), and thanks for the heads up! I'd never have thought of trying them

• Like Like x 1