Home from first motorhome Holiday

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by johnandi, Oct 17, 2010.

1. johnandi

johnandi Funster

Hi,
    After our initial 'Hello' to this website some weeks ago, just thought I'd say thanks and give an update on our first Motorhome experience.
    To see if Motorhoming was for us we hired a Swift Bolero 680fb from Abacus/Dorset. It was a brand new 2010 model with 65 miles on the clock. We were pleased with the Abacus service.
    We had a very enjoyable holiday touring Cornwall (albeit a litle nervous driving down narrow Cornwall 'A' roads - do you just get used to it??). The 'van' certainly had the wow factor but we're glad we hired rather than bought first as we decided the layout (although lots of plus points) wasn't for us.
    We're now looking for a used 'A' class, Hymer - we think? (thanks Carol and Eddie!).
    So, thanks to all for all the encouragement from our initial posts 3 weeks ago which got us started - the search for our Motorhome begins...
    We've asked for advice in the 'Beginners Forum' (RHD/LTD, Hymer.etc). If anyone has time to respond we'd be very grateful for any advice/help.

2. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi Glad you enjoyed the mh and hope you find what your looking for.

3. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Glad you had a good 1st trip, heres looking forward to the many more adventures you will have in the future

4. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Now the fun starts , look at plenty motorhomes and remember the + and - points when you hired for your holidays. Glad you enjoyed your holiday BTW
    As for the narrow roads , well you do get used to them , but I am always more wary on them. Just take the corners slowly and if you see someone approaching pull in before them , in a good spot if possible.
    Let them drive on the verge or into the scratchy bushes to pass:Wink:
    Good thing about a MH is that your higher up so you can see over most hedges. Cornish ones take some beating though !!

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Yes.

Then BANG and a wing mirror is slammed into the door -- too used to it.

My biggest fear is whacking a pedestrian on the head with a mirror.

Good hunting.

6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

The first trip is exciting.. and it gets better:BigGrin:

7. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Glad to hear the trip went well, now the FUN begins looking can be a great part of the experience, and a least you have a idea of what you are looking for now. Good to see you have become a fully paid up Funster the information on here is always ongoing and the site has a Motorhome sales thread worth keeping a eye on. I will send you a pm so have a look in your message box. Carol.

8. movan

movan Funster Life Member

had phone call from Carol to say you were taking the plunge... well done... I am sure you will really enjoy all the trials and tribulations of motorhoming..:BigGrin:

Re the wing mirrors, I have put fluorescant tape on mine, as not only do I whack things with it, other vans coming towards me don't seem to realise I stick out more than they realise...:Blush: