Home building & contents insurance

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by gibbon, Oct 20, 2013.

1. gibbon

gibbon Read Only Funster

Our house insurance is up for renewal soon & our renewal quote stated that 60 days away from home was the maximum amount of time we could stay away for full cover.
    I'd never even thought about this before but next year we intend to be away for 3 months at a time with any luck.
    We have compared the meerkat & had some reasonable quotes for being away for up to 90 days at a time.
    Is this what everybody else does? Is there a company that other funsters use that is more tailored to our interests?
    Any advice would be very gratefully received, thanks in advance.

2. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi
    We have trouble with that has we go to Spain for 6 months in the winter, and this area is classed has a flood zone, last year we paid £650 with Comfort Ins with Aviva, this year we phoned Central Bespoke Ins brokers 01224 656623 , Insured us with RSA for £330. worth a call, I got their number from Caravan Guard who I do the Van with also RSA. Pete

Ps there was an 0800 number but I cant see it at the moment.:thumb::thumb:

3. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

Camping and Caravan Club insurance is 180 days, I've just taken this out for around £200.

Mike

4. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi Mike
    I have tried them it's over £1200.00 here for us due to the flood zone , we have lived in the area since 1978 no floods at all but you cant tell the computer, some companies wont quote. Pete :Sad:

5. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Free tip from me - just check if legal expenses insurance is included and if it isn't , add it.

It might add £20 pa but it's worth it in the long run. Trust me on that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

Oh Dear, Another one is Home Protect, you can put in 91 to 180 days, this quote for me was £163 but for you :cry::cry:

7. jaygee

jaygee Funster

We are covered for 60 days but just pay extra to extend cover whilst we are away - I think we paid +£65 to extend cover to 180 days with Aviva.

8. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi

It all depends on the area/post code you live in, normal 60 days for is ok BUT try for longer then the old favorite flood zone comes in, what I don't get is how does the tide know your away over 60 days :Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  9. gibbon

gibbon Read Only Funster

Thanks everyone,a few lines of inquiry there:thumb:. lets hope the flood zone does'nt apply. We don't live far from the river severn:Eeek: