Hi Funsters

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Figaro, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Having done some work to persuade the wife we need one, I`ve been looking out for a suitable MH and I`ve seen a 2006 Dethleffs on a Renault base with a 3 ltr diesel lump, very low miles for year.
    Does anyone have any views on this combo, good or bad ?
    Advice / opinions would be gratefully received
    Thanks
    Chris

2. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

Sorry don't have a view on that MH but good job in persuading your wife that you need one. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  3. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Dethleffs are a quality German brand, you should be safe there.

Number one concern, as with ANY coachbuilt, is to check for damp before purchase. The costs of maintenance or repairs to the Renault chassis/cab pale into insignificance compared to the cost of sorting a rotten body!:Eeek:

Most Dethleffs vans are well winterised, are you coming skiing this year then?!:Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Well, not there yet with the wife but working on it !

Never been on a ski slope as I know I`d be in A&E with two broken legs within no time. I would love to go for the scenery though

• Like Like x 2
  5. Figaro

Figaro Funster

By the way, what is the best method to check for damp
    Sniff for a musty smell in the cupboards or use a damp meter ?
    Or does it need a professional check. I`ve read on here about people getting Habitation checks, is this covered here & do people have these done routinely, should I expect to see current & past certificates ?
    Also, should I expect to see all services functioning (private sale), eg heaters, lights, shower etc. & if Im told all are drained down / turned off for the winter, should I be suspicious. I`m quite keen to see how good the shower is in particular.

6. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi to check for damp you can do all you mention first sign will be smell this means its not new damp, second you could buy a damp meter for a few quid and check all over the van including the back of cupboards and wardrobes also if its n overhead cab then check there also.

If your not sure what to do then once you have agreed a price tell him its subject to damp test and get a mobile guy to pop round will cost about £60 at most and might save you thousands.

• Like Like x 1
  7. lorger

lorger Funster

Forgot to say I wouldn't buy it if he isn't willing to show you everything working from light build and sockets to water heater, fridge and cooker.