Hi from marshwader!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by marshwader, Sep 9, 2010.

1. marshwader

marshwader Read Only Funster

Well I am new to the site! We bought a new Burstner Solano last year and really haven't had a chance to use it do to a variety of situations, surgical ops and other family and home commitments. We have just had the first habitiation service and hope to go away shortly! Can anyone advise me how to wash the thing!! Obviously too huge to go in a car wash (and I don't want to damage the roof openings etc). So apart from climbing up a ladder with a pressure washer, what do you all advise? (Thanks in anticipation!):thumb:

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Welcome to Fun, nice van you have, as to washing roof, use Fenwicks or some traffic film remover and a mop.

Peter

3. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Hi marshwader :welcome: to MotorhomeFun.:thumb:

flyingwelcome

4. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi and welcome :thumb: get the kids to do it :Rofl1:
    Try a garden spray quarter full of bleach and a cap full of washing powder/ liquid form -soft yard brush or ex-tenable hose brush things then good rinse off with hose :thumb:
    terry

5. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Hiya marshwader, welcome, I use a telescopic wash brush , I can walk on the roof of RV so no problem. Try a ladder up the side with an old sheet wrapped round the top

6. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

I wouldnt use a pressure washer it can do more harm than good, brush with extendable handle and hose with ordinary choice of spray rose end on it.

Welcome to Fun

7. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

:welcome: :thumb:

8. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

:welcomefunster:

I use Fenwicks (as Peter suggested). Starting at the bottom of the van and work upwards using a 2.5 ltr garden spray. I use a soft brush on an extending pole to clean the roof. (Use a step ladder too.)

Phil

9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

You've wasted enough time already. It will drive as well dirty, just hit the road, man.

10. Stormbird

Stormbird Read Only Funster

Hi

We've joined the site just after you and here we are putting our two penny worth in already!

Please do not use a pressure washer on a Motorhome! I know other's may disagree with me and of course everyone has a right to their point of view, but the mastic sealant that is around both motorhomes and caravans is one that doesn't set and remains soft through out it's life.

If you put a pressure washer near these points (behind awning rails and other metal parts screwed onto the sides) the sealant will be forced out and water can creep into the van at the seams that these rails quite often cover.

If you really must use the pressure washer, keep it to the middle of the panels and use low presure.

As for getting to the top of the van, unfortunately, you guessed right, a ladder is best!! You can get freestanding ladders that make a triangle with an extention one side. You can climb higher on one side than the other, quite often used by tree trimmers, it means you get get up close to the van without leaning against it or standing on top of a step ladder trying to keep your balance!

Some motorhomes have a ladder leading to the roof that you could use so this maybe another idea - just keep out the way of the water!

Whatever you do, enjoy your van and plan for great adventures!

11. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

[​IMG]Hi and welcome to fun

I suggest you GET OUT and enjoy your motorhome xxxxxxxxxx

12. marshwader

marshwader Read Only Funster

Thank you all!

Thanks for all your hints about washing my motorhome! I am so glad you have told me not to use a pressure washer because it could damage the seals.:Eek!: I daresay that is a common problem and something you see often on second hand machines. Just let me know what Fenwicks is and where to buy it? :Blush: Many thanks again!

13. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Marshwader, Kids come in handy for washing:BigGrin: welcome to the Fun :thumb:

[​IMG]

14. Cupcake

Cupcake Read Only Funster

Welcome to the site.
    Have to agree with the negative views on using a pressure washer we think that's what caused the problems with our caravan. We use a telescopic brush as has been mentioned (well in reality other half uses it!) & ladder to get to the roof.
    But as has been said get out there and use it .... you can't see the dirt from the inside :Rofl1: