Hi everyone

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Quack, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Quack

Quack Read Only Funster

Just to introduce myself. I am an ex caravanner aged 74 and am looking to buy a motorhome to continue touring with a bit less hassle. Have found the ideal layout in a Autosleepers Rienza MH but an a bit concerned re the age of these models (up to 2005) was hoping for something a bit newer.
    Spent some time today browsing the forums and this certainly is the place to be. :BigGrin:

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Quack, welcome to the Fun :thumb:

3. Pikeman

Pikeman Funster

Personally I would not worry too much about the age of the vehicle. Look at how many miles it has clocked and I bet it is averaging 4K miles per annum or less. You would not worry if it was a car, you would bight their hand off. So providing it is not leaking and the interior is sound - why should you go for a later model?:thumb:

4. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome,
    Some older motorhomes are as good if not better than newer ones so dont discount on age, if looked after there are some belters out there. The thing to watch and get your head round is weight - it will all depend on whether you have kept your 7500kg entitlement or now only have 3500kg

5. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome to the madhouse. Age need not be a problem, in vehicles anyway, hee hee. As already said watch the weight unless you want to put up with medicals every year.

6. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Yes watch the weight limit as you may have lost your 7500kg entitlement and can only drive up to 3500kg now

Peter

7. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

:welcome:

8. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hello and welcome, do join in ask questions use the forum to get as much information as you need to make a informed decision on your motorhome, then when you get it right a whole new world opens up.:welcomefunster:

9. f6c

f6c Funster

welcome

Welcome aboard:Wink:

10. Quack

Quack Read Only Funster

Thanks to all for making me welcome. I did, indeed, let my 7500kg licence go when I reached 70 and am aware that I can only drive vehicles of max 3500kg. Enquiries with DVLA assure me that the 7500kg can be reinstated quite easily following a medical examination. It may come to that but I don't think I would bother. 3500kg allows a wide choice of MHs anyway.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  11. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Hi and welcome.
    You may find that being an X furniture maker , depending on which MH you chose of course, that you find an older model a better one.
    We looked at lots of models , before going back to the first one , which was a 2006 . Lots of new vans have stickyback plastic covered doors and plastc frames . Not solid wood or wood veneer . The sales people say its to keep weights down , which I am sure it does. But we felt they were like entry level caravans and we felt like we were taking a backward step . We were used to good quality fixtures and fittings.
    We have had ours over 3 years now and still love it.
    Your right its a lot easier than the 4 caravans we had.
    Because of all the lounging space we had with the caravans we struggled to find the perfect layout. Though with having caravans , I'm sure that's why we got it right 1st time. Lots dont.

12. Quack

Quack Read Only Funster

Thanks for your comments. As you pointed out the amount of lounging space in caravans far outdoes most motorhomes.
    We started looking at MHs of max 3500kg with fitted beds but soon realised that the lounge areas were quite small.
    It is important to both my wife and myself that we can lounge in comfort during the day and we think that a rear U shaped lounge which converts into two single beds/large double bed would seem to be ideal so that is what we are looking for.
    Following most comments on this thread I am reconsidering the age of the vehicle I will eventually buy. Maybe age is not that important and slightly older translates into better prices.