Help with Wifi please

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Tartan Tearaways, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Tartan Tearaways

Tartan Tearaways Read Only Funster

Hi Everyone, I'm very new to Motorhomes..... we will be picking up our first motorhome next week having been in a campervan for years my bones can't take it anymore.... anyway... I'll need to be working at times and wonder can anyone recommend a good way of connecting to wifi while on the move... I've seen a thing on line called 'Hubba' from 'Connect Buzz'.... any thoughts on this or other ideas... Many thanks...Michelle

2. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

hi, I personally use a mifi from 3 on pay as you go. fine in this country.
    Terry:sin:

• Like Like x 3
  3. BgClick

BgClick Funster

I have a myfi from 3 too and its pretty good although I am adding tether to my iphone and thats all I can eat data

4. Tartan Tearaways

Tartan Tearaways Read Only Funster

Help with Wifi

Thanks guys... would I be able to access my laptop using this Mifi ? :Eeek:

5. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Ref MIFI

Hi Michelle.. I got a MiFi thingy called HUWAUE ( I think thats how its spelt ) I bought it on line and it cost close to £50.. We took it to France and Spain and it worked fantastically well everywhere..We just got a local Sim card and bingo.. But you MUST buy one that is UNLOCKED.. That means you can put any Sim in it, including the one out of your phone.. It creates a hot spot "around you" so your wife/kids can use it at the same time.. Hope this helps Mitch and Jenny..:thumb:

6. herbies

herbies Read Only Funster

being a bit thick can i ask how it works do you need a wifi point still or does it somehow create its own wifi??? :Doh:

7. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

It creates its own WiFI space around you and your immediate area and you can use up to 5 Phones/ tablets/computers etc.. Hope this helps you.. Mitch..

8. kiwicamper

kiwicamper Read Only Funster

So do we ,it's brilliant

9. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

Do bear in mind that many places where one may camp for the night are often remote so phone signals are not always available.

Having said that I use my Samsung S3 on Three, wherever possible, to produce its own wifi hotspot for the laptop.

10. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

3 mifi has never failed me - other brands such as an 02 dongle I had once never worked! I would recommend three all day long. In fact, you could even knock your landline one on the head as the three is faster! :thumb:

11. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I was ripped off mercilessly by Vodafone in Spain. I topped up £15 and it vanished in a day and a bit. Many rude words were uttered.

In the end I detected a local WiFi service and paid them about €20 for a month.

MiFi is a great tool when you get a signal. Absolutely nothing in Brecon and Malvern using the Vodafone SIM.

The motto is, you can't rely on mobile phone technology for 24/7 coverage everywhere. If OP needs this he/she is in trouble.

12. campa cola

campa cola Funster

if you are looking at picking up 'free' wifi from campsites or any other open source a wifi aerial is essential...unless you want to stand outside a possibly wet campsite reception with your phone/laptop picking up their signal. With an aerial you can get wifi in the comfort of your van...for that the money is already well spent for me. I have the early low powered version of this aerial which was fully waterproof and picked up lots of signals when they were available. Good alternative if you cant get a phone signal & are travelling multiple countries

[ame="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231021344599&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_1563wt_1249"]20dBi USB WiFi Booster Directional Antenna Motorhome/Caravan Aerial & Mount | eBay[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  13. patch

patch Read Only Funster

Are u using this with laptop or android tablet. we want one to use with our nexus 10 in France .:RollEyes:

14. patch

patch Read Only Funster

In fact would anyone using a dongle with nexus 10 let us know which one. Also what is the best sim card to use with it. Thanks

15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

you can connect ANY wifi enabled device to a MIFI unit...even wireless printers and possibly even wireless enabled camera's to upload files to a. computer...though i dont have a wifi camera so i dont know for sure. :Doh:

the units primary roll is to become a wireless hotspot, in the same way as your wireless router/hub at home but it uses a mobile phone signal instead of a landline connection.

units such as the latest Huawei S5332 will connect up to 8 wifi gadgets at the same time.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  16. patch

patch Read Only Funster

I was thinking more of the size of the cable connector. The size of the laptop one is bigger than the one you would need for the nexus . unless of course the dongle comes with both connect ions or you buy cables separately. Wish i was more techno savvy. :cry:

17. Xabia

Xabia Funster

If you are going to Spain and want internet via a Huawei mifi get a data sim from Masmovil. Have cancelled my landline internet at my house there and now solely use the mifi. Costs very reasonable, I can check my costs on line at any time and park the number when I don't need it, they can put it back on immediately when I ring them.

18. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

WiFi and MiFi connect by wireless. No cables.

WiFi is what you get in Macdonalds and your house if you have a WiFi router.

MiFi is a mobile phone with no display or keyboard which links the mobile phone data service to your laptop/tablet via WiFi. You put in a SIM just like a mobile and need a PAYG or monthly contract.

You will also see USB/WiFi dongle/aerials - now these plug into a USB port in your laptop/tablet and connect to that Macdonalds or home WiFi. You can get a "booster" type with sensitive aerial that connects to Macdonalds etc from a hundred metres or more.

19. patch

patch Read Only Funster

Thanks Brian . That makes things clearer. Good to know someone has a grasp on these things:Rofl1:

20. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

If anyone would find it easier to talk this through on the phone, you can give Sophie or myself (Adam) a call, we'd be more than happy to talk you through all of the options with regards to internet on the move.

We're not very good sales people and indeed spend a lot of this weekends Malvern show talking to Funsters about the different options for WiFi on the move. If we're not happy you know what you're buying - we'll tell you to go and have a think about it, or ask another funster what they think. If you buy one of our products - great - but if we have nothing that you need or is suitable, we'll happily tell you so.

If you're interested in the 'Hubba' device you have seen advertised, we can supply this as well for a better price.

If you have any direct questions, I'd be happy to answer the on the forum.

Adam & Sophie
    www.motorhomewifi.com
    Motorhome WiFi (0113 815 1120)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
    • Like Like x 1