Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
When we ordered our van we had the dealer fit a few accessories, amongst which was a solar panel with
a PWM Solar Charge Controller. It's only a cheap Chinese one with poorly translated instructions. It displays constant red lights next to the panel, battery and light symbols which I believe means that it is working as it should.

Our experience of the dealer has not been good and I would describe them as incompetent at best. My question is how can I easily check if the solar system is fit for purpose and working efficiently?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Without knowing your panel wattage and controller make wouldn't like to comment on whether it's working and what figures you can expect
... in most cases I've come across red lights are not what you want to be seeing but if you have some sort of instructions I'm sure you can check that..

Depending on what you feel like trying and assuming you have the gear you could check the panel voltage on the two wires from the panel... anything around 20v
Then check your battery voltage... with any sort of light it should be in the range 13. Odd to 14.4 volts. .
If you load your batteries and can then check the current from the panels via the controller you will see if controler is reacting properly.. (there should be a fuse close to the battery on the posotive from the controller... that would be a good place to connect multimeter on its current setting. )
Andy.

OP
OP
M

Molls-Phot

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
Thanks for the tips. The instructions seem to suggest the constant light is good. It's if they flicker that there's a problem. I can't even be positive about the panel wattage but think it's a 120W as no paperwork was supplied. I will ask an electrician friend for a borrow of his multimeter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
May be worth thinking about fitting a Victron controller cost around 70 pounds, but work better in low light/sun conditions.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Thanks for the tips. The instructions seem to suggest the constant light is good. It's if they flicker that there's a problem. I can't even be positive about the panel wattage but think it's a 120W as no paperwork was supplied. I will ask an electrician friend for a borrow of his multimeter.
Might I suggest you nip down to Screwfix etc and buy one, they are not expensive but invaluable in a Moho that has much going on in both 230v and 12v (y)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Best ones are clamp meters. They are basically a multimeter with a current measuring clamp on the end so you don't have to break the circuit to measure the current. Most are AC current only, make sure it measures DC amps. Mine was less than £20 on eBay.
Here it is.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351149081329

Last edited:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Best ones are clamp meters. They are basically a multimeter with a current measuring clamp on the end so you don't have to break the circuit to measure the current. Most are AC current only, make sure it measures DC amps. Mine was less than £20 on eBay.
Here it is.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351149081329
Hi Richard/ Ann - the meter you link to has a cable in the pack, while the mini version doesn't - what's this for please? (I know nothing about this stuff but think I should, & may buy one & learn all about it). Thanks
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNI-T-UT2...id=100623&rk=3&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=351149081329

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The leads are for measuring voltage. You don't need them for the current measurements. The one in your link does come with leads, it says in the description. The jaws look slimmer in your linked one which is sometimes easier to get the wire in them in confined spaces and it does measure DC amps, so take your pick really.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Looking at the spec the mini measures capacitance and has a back-lit screen, Bobby dazzelor :)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Oh it would be great if I knew what that means!
But you seem to approve of it so I might just give it a go. Hardly breaks the bank, & so many people are saying it's an essential bit of kit...
Thank you

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back