Help with seat belts abroad

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by sally47, Dec 29, 2014.

1. sally47

sally47 Funster

Hi everyone we are driving to Denmark in July via France Belgium Holland and Germany we have a auto trail chieftain with two side facing and one front facing we are taking our two granddaughters we do have lap belts but does anyone know is it law to have three point belts

2. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

Personally I would not have my grandchildren in anything other than forward facing seats with three point belts - and, I'd include any adults in that!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Badknee

Badknee Funster

IIRC belts that were fitted when new will be ok but please consider the above post.

4. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

5. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

AFAIK it will depend on their ages and possibly what the actual laws are in Denmark etc via doing this.

Personally I would NEVER carry children in a vehicle without 3-point forward or rear facing seats for them. Adults can decide for themselves if they want to take the risk of sitting like this, but kids cannot, however I believe it is ultimately up to the driver to decide though as he/she will be held responsible if there are any injuries caused.

As for side facing seat with lap restraints - IMV they are a definite NO-NO!!!! They can cause horrific injuries!

Ask yourself one question ... how woul you feel if your grandchildren were injuried due to you using either no seat belts at all, or lap belts, their parents should in reality have the last say on this ...

• Like Like x 1
  6. sally47

sally47 Funster

Thanks for that and of course you are right it's not about the law it's about safety so will look to have them converted the other problem I have is they creep into the bed in the back to sleep have to get a giant cage me thinks

7. Minxy Girl

Hi Sally, I seriously doubt you'll find anyone who will fit 3 point belts on SIDE facing seats, there are very few who would even consider doing so on front/rear facing ones.

It also appears that you are already taking the kiddies with you and suggest you re-think doing this at all as every time you go out with them in the rear you are putting them at risk.

The reality is that you actually have the wrong motorhome layout for taking rear passengers in ... :xsad:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

I think (not sure) you will find that most M/H are not tested under crash conditions, however one that is the Bailey range if you search on YouTube for the Bailey at Millbank testing centre you can see the damage caused might be something of intrest

• Like Like x 1
  9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

3 point side facing can cause as bad, if not worse, injuries than a lap belt.
    The diagonal belt will either slip off or cause severe neck injuries depending which shoulder it's over and the direction of impact.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Hi Sally,

I do feel for you. You asked a valid question but I'm afraid you won't like the answers :eek:

Side belts are indeed VERY dangerous in the event of an impact. I would urge you not to carry your grand daughters in the van unless you can fully solve the problem. 3 point forward facing are the only option if you wish to provide the best protection for them.

Minx does have a point

sorry :cautious:

• Like Like x 2
  11. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

Not when you are driving I hope:(

12. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

When looking for our motorhome middle of this year we were told all kind of stories about the legality \ safety of side benches with and without seatbelts.
    At the end of the day we made a conscious decision we would restrict our search to motorhomes with forward (or rearward) facing three point seatbelts - and we only take our dog with us!

• Like Like x 1
  13. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

I have no objection to wearing seat belts - it's the law and there is a penalty for disobedience.

However, I've probably driven close to one million miles and my seat belts have not been needed to save me from an injury. I don't want to be smug but I believe I drive in a sufficiently defensive manner.

I have known instances where parents would not allow a toddler into my car for an airport pick up because of the lack of a spare seat/seatbelt.

The big safety measure that does need to be enforced is to get all that clutter off the front and back windows.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Minxy Girl

Unfortunately, though, it's not you who you need to worry about, its the idiots on the road who you cannot do anything about ...

• Like Like x 6
  15. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Agree on the remove clutter but just because you drive sufficiently defensively doesn't mean to say all other drivers do!
    Anybody could drive x million miles but on the x million and first someone else pulls out of an unmarked concealed entrance and ................
    The parents are quite right when they don't allow their children to travel unrestrained, 1 it's illegal and 2 it's potentially deadlier than the clutter on the rear parcel shelf!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Badknee

Badknee Funster

I'm afraid your point wouldn't hold up in court Bernard, nor telling it to a parent of a badly injured child. It's not you my friend, it's every other bugger out there you need to be frightened of.

• Like Like x 2
  17. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

I seem to have given the impression that I am against seat belts; I'm not. I merely point out that the risk of an injury is a statistical fact. If you drive carefully that risk is minimised, but I agree that there is still a risk.

Tonight the weather is freezing and there will be black ice; the risk of an accident is increased in these circumstances. I will be picking my wife up from the railway station. I have put new tyres on to improve my grip, I will watch for cars that might skid and I will break carefully and early. But, I will still go out. I take the risk.

And, for what it's worth, I always wear a seat belt

• Like Like x 4
  18. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Taking the risk yourself is your prerogative - as it is the prerogative of parents not to take the risk of putting their children in a car which is not fitted with suitable child restraints.

I would never put my grandson into a vehicle without a child seat - and that includes buses.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

If you go and look at the video I mentioned before I think you might change your mind, talk of clutter, on the test both the microwave and fridge ended up outside the van at low impact now that's not clutter
    Let's not forget what we are talking about here it's basically a wooden box strapped to a chassis and adequate seatbelts are your only safety net, if at all

20. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

It is illegal to carry a child under three years old in any vehicle that does not have the correct seating (whether that be standard adult belts, a child seat, or a booster seat.

• Like Like x 1