LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Cheers Brian ...not sure I understand.. If the earth and live were reversed would that not be immediately obvious ie direct short..
Ta Andy

I said heater wired from live to earth which would work normally with a good earth, but if you did not have a good earth then the whole vehicle would be at 240V via the heater coil. It would certainly deter Mormons calling.
My thinking was that the electronic control panel had to see the live on the correct pin

An interesting idea but I've never seen that done which of course does not mean it is not the case. If it is detecting reverse polarity then why isn't it making the very obvious.

It's up to you to choose what to do now, hope I'm wrong or get it tested.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
It's up to you to choose what to do now, hope I'm wrong or get it tested.
Cheers Brian ill check the wiring but fairly sure it's correct.. been working fine for 3 years with no surprises other than when the mains is reverse polarity and then it won't work on the electric but still ok on diesel.
Andy.

Keef

Free Member
Jul 25, 2010
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
15 Years
In my three years of touring France I have found the hook up to be reversed around 20 to 30% of the time. Although as pointed out it doesn't affect most systems it is still advisable to correct it with the appropriate adaptor for safety. Would you be happy to wire a plug the wrong way at home ? ( I thought not) therefore don't risk it while away.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
As a beginner I bought a tester and made up a short fly lead with the polarity reversed.

When I checked on four sites in France two were RP.. So I used my wee lead . No harm done .

Now it seems I wasted my time and money though it was a very small amount.

Could have saved it up towards me A frame though ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I used to test polarity and carry a crossover lead. Haven't bothered for years though.
A site I stayed on in France (near Gap I think) years ago the polarity reversed when the light on the bollard went on at night.

I think French electrical safety is an oxymoron. One place I stayed (not recently) didn't have proper wiring at all, just lots of (interior type) extension leads plugged into each other, luckily it didn't rain while I was there.

If I was working on a faulty appliance I would make sure the power was definitely disconnected (unplugged) regardless.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back