Help. Toilet cassette problems

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by kaybee, Sep 24, 2012.

1. kaybee

kaybee Funster

Whilst at Lincoln the flap that opens/closes the cassette stopped working so I thought I'm not far from home will sort it when I get back. Now home I discover I can't get the cassette out to empty it. Any ideas on what to do?
    Kath

2. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

depends what model of cassette you have,
    is it the type with a turn dial that opens the flap or a bush button type?

3. kaybee

kaybee Funster

[​IMG]

Nipped out and took a photo. Hope that helps
    Kath

4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

A similar thing happened to me with our Elddis, Kath. If memory serves it was because the grey cover was stuck so had not been pushed towards the door (exposing the black flap) when the cassette was inserted. Possible cause is that the cassette seal is standing too proud.

I think I freed it by a combination of shuffling the cassette in/out to release it - firmly but not too savagely to break anything.

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

If you can get somebody to help you one can be inside and press down on the seal whilst the other shuffles the cassette about.

Edit: Thetford have maintenance/repair manuals Here. Having released the cassette and emptied it, take the seal covers off, give the seal a good clean and then rub olive oil (not sunflower or vegetable oil) over it. If the seal has become hard replace the seal.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  6. martin1485

martin1485 Funster

We had a similar problem. I found that it was the flap opening lever not quite aligning the orange turn button on the cassette to allow it to release from the mechanism that it engages into. By peering in from the outside access, you may even be able to see it.
    Try opening and closing the flap from inside a few times which may do the trick. Hope that helps.

7. emjaiuk

emjaiuk Funster

Don't forget that before you can remove a cassette the lever must be in the closed position, even if the flap doesn't close!

Malcolm