Help required with new inverter only working on low wattage (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
BRAND NEW

QUALITY PROFESSIONAL

2500W DC12V-AC240V PURE SINE WAVE POWER INVERTER

supersale_desc.gif

Free Next Working Day Delivery to Mainland of UK
If you order and pay before 2:00pm we dispatch your item in same day
FEATURES

1. Fully automatical protections
  2. Soft start, high stability and quiet performance
  3. Cooling fans are controlled by overheat protection system so only running when too hot
  4. AC output and DC input voltages digital display
  5. LED Indicator light
  6. CE approved
  7. Suitable for household appliances, lighting, electrical tools and office equipments etc.
Advantages of Pure Sine Wave inverters
  • a) Output voltage wave form is pure sine wave with very low harmonic distortion and clean power like utility-supplied electricity.
    • b) Inductive loads like microwave ovens and motors run faster, quieter and cooler.
    • c) Reduces audible and electrical noise in fans, fluorescent lights, audio amplifiers, TV, Game consoles, Fax, and answering machines.
    • d) Prevents crashes in computers, weird print out, and glitches and noise in monitors.
    • e) Reliably powers the appliances that will normally not work with modified sine wave inverters
SPECIFICATION

Continuous Power 2500W
Peak Power 5000W
Output Waveform Pure Sine Wave
Maximum Efficiency 85%
Input Voltage DC12V
No-load Current <0.7A
Output Voltage AC220-240V
Output Frequency 50Hz±2Hz
Fuse 350A
Soft Start Technology Yes
Cooling System Fans
Overload Protection Yes
Over Heating Protection Yes
High Voltage Protection Yes
Low Voltage Protection Yes
Output Short Circuit Protection Yes
Weight 4.7KG
Dimension 460x160x130(mm
My 1000 watt inverter looks identical so probably came out the same factory.
I don't believe their claim that it is a pure sine wave, I am sure the output is a bit spiky, I've not got around to checking the output with a scope but if I connect the laptop power supply to the touch pad is jerky and unusable, connect the boss's I pad the screen shakes and is unusable, not a problem for us as we use dedicated 12v supplies. Just a warning if you are using sensitive equipment with it.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
The inverter must be wired (both pos.& neg) directly to the battery and if more than one battery then they must be connected using correct sized cables, with a good quality fuse of the correct rating. Also, check that nothing else is pulling power from the batteries like the fridge. I have 480amp of battery and using a 2kw ps inverter I must watch just what I’m pulling out of the batteries. The m.wave will use 140amps and the coffee m/c 120amps. If the fridge was on, then that’s 12 more and with the voltage drop can be 14-16 it all adds up. When you think, you have it sorted check the cables for heat after a couple of mins. Use, terminals as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
I can't see where the auto electrician has taken the negative from, I will have to ask as it doesn't appear to come from battery directly which is what I expected using similar lengths of the same 25mm cable?
Voltage of battery 12.9v, back of inverter 12.9 V, under load of 500w 10.5v!!!!
There's your problem. Very bad practice installation - tenner says he's taken the neg to the closest handy bit of bodywork :rolleyes:
25mm2 is ok for 125A (1500W) at 900mm cable run.
To do - run a 25mm2 cable from neg side of the battery to neg side of inverter.
I'd also recommend fusing at the battery (pos) end.

I think I need the auto electrician to explain his mysterious wiring and to run additional cables,
Yep, definitely

If I double up the 25mm would that be ok in everyone's view? As access is an issue he may need to add another 16mm cable making it 25 + 16 ( 41mm)???
We double up cabling all the time - especially on large cables, its's common and accepted practice. Both cables should really be the same CSA, so go for 2 paralleled 16mm2 back to back with separate crimps ... none of that sharing the same crimp malarkey ! ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
There's your problem. Very bad practice installation - tenner says he's taken the neg to the closest handy bit of bodywork :rolleyes:
25mm2 is ok for 125A (1500W) at 900mm cable run.
To do - run a 25mm2 cable from neg side of the battery to neg side of inverter.
I'd also recommend fusing at the battery (pos) end.

Yep, definitely

We double up cabling all the time - especially on large cables, its's common and accepted practice. Both cables should really be the same CSA, so go for 2 paralleled 16mm2 back to back with separate crimps ... none of that sharing the same crimp malarkey ! ;)
So with two cables doubled up do you just fuse each one individually and then remember that the other side of the fuse will be live?

I was told about somebody who did that on a welder set and when to jail for manslaughter.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back