Help on bike carriers please

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by sally47, Aug 26, 2014.

1. sally47

sally47 Funster

Can anyone tell me what weight I can put on my bolt on bike carrier we are off to Scotland next week for a month and want to take our lecci bikes each weigh 20 kilos but with battery and saddle off 15 kilos so the 2 would be 30 kilos is this too heavy grateful for any help

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

3. sally47

sally47 Funster

Thanks jim was thinking more of the pressure on the hinges to back of van

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Just bought a tow ball fitting carrier, because of the problems you state above. Just about to give it a three week trial down South......Really well constructed, quite surprised for the money.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181502337103

5. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Think our Fiamma rack has a 60 kilo max rating.

• Like Like x 1
  6. golly

golly Funster

There should be a sticker on the rack somewhere, agree with jockaneezer about 60k for Fiamma

• Like Like x 1
  7. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

We carry our 2 electric bikes on our fiamma rack which says 60 kilo weight restriction.
    We do take our batteries off, never thought of taking saddles off thanks for the tip.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

Would love to use one of these but we don't have a tow bar. Probably would cost around £1500 in all.
    The bike rack is already there.
    The 2 bikes with batteries and saddles taken off probably with the same as 2 normal bikes and they are meant to take 60 kilo so we feel ok with that.

• Like Like x 1
  9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

The whole back door bent on Chrisboyo's FIAT PVC. He ended up reinforcing the door internally with wood. That was just two little electrics without their batteries.

Hinges were fine.

10. golly

golly Funster

I think the limit on the back door mounted racks is about 35kilo

• Like Like x 1
  11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I wouldn't put two electric bikes on a Fiamma rack mounted on the back door. The rack itself might have the rating but I doubt the door has. Of course, installations differ but I have heard of a back door being damaged going over a speed bump too quickly and it was only carrying normal push bikes.

If you have no alternative then as suggested remove the batteries and drive carefully!

12. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Just made two brackets to support my bike rack carrying two leccie bikes. Even though only 40kgs and rack rated at 60kgs far too much leverage on the back wall IMO. Hate too think how much a damaged rear wall would cost too repair. :eek:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Someone was saying.....(at a rally, I think), that a German van on one of the Auto Routes lost the complete back wall of the van, when the bikes pulled it off.
    Cant help wondering if attached racks do strain the rear panel, and encourage water ingress, or structure failure, after all, manufactures have been known to invalidate moisture ingress warranty when presented with a rear rack fitted van.

14. carolyn

carolyn Funster

We have just ordered a new PVC at the Malvern show and are having a tow bar factory fitted so that we can have a tow bar mounted bike rack. We currently have a fiamma door mounted one on our Autosleeper symbol and even though our bikes are supposedly light weight aluminium it does seem a big strain on a door. Really like the look of that low rack, would be much easier to get bikes on and off. Seems like a very good price, could you give us a report when you have used it please Tootles?

15. Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee Funster

Hi, we carry two heavy Kalkhoff Electric Bikes and I didn't want to trust putting such a load on the back of the van. I thought the Fiamma Rack would be OK but was concerned about rear of van. I have roof bars so I decided to make up a support bar that would take some of the strain off of the rack. The attached picture gives a better idea.

Rob

Attached Files:

16. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Mines similar but supports from underneath, two pieces of angled one inch box section from the chassis to the underneath of the bike rack.
    Lifts the rack about half an inch so when loaded the weight goes through the box section to the chassis and takes all the strain off the rear wall.
    Cost me approx £50.00 and couple of hours to make.
    Much cheaper and less hassle than a tow bar.

17. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Ours fold and go in the motorhome garage. (y)

I think the rear mounted bike racks would put too much strain on the back panel. Just my opinion.

On the Hymer there was a motorbike rack and we put bikes on that as it was bolted onto the chassis. The Hymer was a much bigger, heavy duty beast though.

18. automedon

automedon Read Only Funster

we have the WITTER zx200 (2 bikes of which 1 is elect.) fits neatly onto tow bar at the rear of our Sprinter and solved all our bike carrying probs. So easy to slip on over the towbar, then lock 'em on. they come complete with good quality straps/holders etc. when your biking is finished (back home) just simply unlock them and put them away in the garage before storing the MH in the storage yard.
    Other makes are also available, go on-line, type in TOWBAR BIKE CARRIERS on Google and have a scroll through the variety available. Cost from £139 (suitable only for non-elect. bikes) up to about £400.
    Good luck, just stay away from lightweight towbar types that are not made for the job!

19. jemhorn

jemhorn Funster

If you have a tow bar then definitely fix a carrier onto that. Saves all that back breaking heaving bikes onto a van mooted rack as well. None of us are getting any younger after all!

20. DiddyDoddy

DiddyDoddy Read Only Funster

We bought ours at the Malvern show to carry our two electric bikes,combined weight of 50 kgs and have now travelled over 1000 miles since, fantastic value and easy to remove if you do not wish to use it,plus you don't have to do any unnecessary lifting like you do with fiamma racks if they are fitted high up.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181502337103