Help needed with water pump issue

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Capt, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Capt

Capt

Hi
    We have a 92 VW Clubman GL that we haven't owned long but are having an issue with what sounds like the water pump juddering when we run either hot or cold taps in the kitchen and bathroom areas, this juddering is also making the 12v lighting flicker if any of the lights are on.

I have checked the pump under the sink and it seems to be fixed properly and not moving around.

Anyone got any ideas as to solving the issue ?

Cheers

2. DAVWOD

DAVWOD Funster

Seems like a sticking pump, you say that its when the water taps are operated? So if its the original pump time to replace and they are cheap by what i can gather Shurflo have a range of pumps depends on your budget , mine is quite noisy I've asked the question on this Forum ... hope you get it sorted

3. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Mine does exactly as yours and has done so for the last 7 years. Nothing appears wrong with the pump. Just a bit noisy. The lights do flicker slightly when the pumps operates.

4. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Does the water come out in spurts? In that case it could be air in your system. Try draining entirely, including boiler, and then refilling. Once switch on the tap furthest from the tank first and run until smooth. then do the same with the other taps.

5. Eddystone

Eddystone Funster

Just a couple of points. Assuming it is a Shurflo pump.
    If the screws holding the pump are too tight the rubber 'feet' won't be able to absorb the pump vibration, too loose and it will jump about on the screws. There will always be some noise.
    Now the flickering lights. If they are ordinary 12v lamp bulbs (not fluorescent strips) they will react to the slight drop in voltage that the pump will cause each time it draws current.

Brian

6. Capt

Capt

Thanks for the replies.....the water does not come out in spurts, it flows pretty well when the juddering is apparent......as for affecting lighting at the same time, it does it to the fluorescent 12v lights and the standard 12v bulb lights as well.

I will have a look at the mountings off the pump tomorrow and make sure they are over tight but it's strange it's affecting the lighting.......maybe the pump is on its last legs

7. TerryL

TerryL Funster

I had a similar sounding noise/vibration when away in Spain and thought the pump was on it's last legs; couldn't find a replacement so crossed my fingers. Once home went out and bought a new pump, fitted it and..................... still the same. I eventually traced the worst of the noise to the outlet pipe banging on a bulkhead it was passing through - bit of padding and it was much quieter. It is actually mounted on a wooden board that acts like a sounding board; have tried changing /adjusting the mounts but short of a complete reroute don't think it'll ever be "silent". Learned to live with it.

I did fit an accumulator which tends to smooth out the pulsing, which helped a bit more.

As regards the lights, change them for LED's. Use less leccie as well.

8. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

the higher pressure sure flows ar noisey we fitted a big one to my sons vw as we had it lying around and his van is cold only so no restriction
    that judders

9. Capt

Capt

I've checked the pump again and I'm convinced it's a faulty pump as the noise is coming from inside the pump and not a rattling pipe etc......the pump that's fitted is a Whale UP1212 15psi 1bar pump.......do you think I should by a like for like they do a UF1212 and only difference is its 1.1bar instead of 1bar or shall I go for another make ?
    Thanks

10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Or your battery could be failing.
    Slightly low voltage will effect lights as the pump pulses

11. Capt

Capt

I'm 100% it's not the battery..... It was brand new two weeks ago and checked before fitted